What's going on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi, today I've been out to all apiarys and I have one colony which I introduced a new mated queen after over marking the old one, which I found dead on top of the brood frames, everything seemed normal she was laying fine.
So today there is 7 frames of capped brood newly layed eggs stood up so layed today but know queen the bees have been all over the front of the hive and 50 or so under the omf floor.
On frame 6 there are two capped queen cells right in the middle of the frame on opposite sides of the frame superseding? Maybe, it doesn't add up to me I looked under the floor to see if my white dotted queen was there but nope.
Gutted really I went through this colony with a fine tooth comb they have three supers above a brood and loads of comb for stores/honey/ even in the brood box plenty of space what I don't understand is I was at this apiary from 9am doing some strimming and left at about 1pm.
What are your thoughts.
Thanks
Mark.

I'm certain they haven't swarmed fresh eggs layed today and only two queen cells both capped.
But no queen -- dead or alive ? Options are limited if you have capped queen cells ... she's either gone or she''s dead ... if she's died today there should be a corpse ... if there's no corpse what else is there....

Oh I know ...Beam me up Scottie ! Where's the Enterprise ?

1626297942932.png

To boldly go .....

Could well be as jenks suggested it happens. As you say there’s eggs I would destroy cells and check in a few days.

Last edited:
But no queen -- dead or alive ? Options are limited if you have capped queen cells ... she's either gone or she''s dead ... if she's died today there should be a corpse ... if there's no corpse what else is there....

Oh I know ...Beam me up Scottie ! Where's the Enterprise ?

View attachment 27236

To boldly go .....
Where no man has been before!
What's all this with the enterprise business :laughing-smiley-004.
No corpse Philip and I looked for a fair time

Could well be as jenks suggested it happens. Did you make qless,!they often make cells whilst a queens caged awaiting release. If there’s eggs I would have torn the cells down and checked in a few days.
As I said in my first post I killed the queen from over marking the original queen or the workers did, they were requeened the same day I found the over marked queen dead and that was a month ago.
No cells were started and the intro of my queen all seamed fine, realised within 24hrs and laying loads in three days or so.

I've left the cells as they only look like they've been capped a few days..
Could I use these cells by removing and adding to mini nucs or nucs. Or should I remove?

If there’s eggs I would knock them down or use but I would remove. They’ll make more if they need and she has been bumped off. If she’s still there you may convince them otherwise. If new queens fail I find most do so soon after mating, once they’ve been up and going for a couple of months they tend to last. Simple fact is most sold queens are very recently mated,

If there’s eggs I would knock them down or use but I would remove. They’ll make more if they need and she has been bumped off. If she’s still there you may convince them otherwise. If new queens fail I find most do so soon after mating, once they’ve been up and going for a couple of months they tend to last. Simple fact is most sold queens are very recently mated,
My own queen's ian

So today the colony in question had lots of workers under the hive probably a few hundred and they have started to build comb I put the hive on a higher stand and put the super underneath brushed all bees of into the supers reconfigured and left them settle I couldnt see any marked queen in the cluster.
Looked at them again an hour later and know queen but saw a worker sticking her abdomen in cellso_O there are eggs but not consistent on the frames and they are single ones.
I knocked the two capped cells down and closed them up.
This evening there is a cluster back under the hive and it's the size of my fist.
What's going on is there a queen under the hive considering I brushed them all of the underside of the omf floor back into the hive.
Plan of action for tomorrow?
Im vexed :oops:
Could the queen be dead on the OMF floor and they are clustered around her?

Last edited:
I'm finding that my own queen's raised have been more consistent @rolande i can see why you were saying much the same as Ian... Don't think I'll be posting my own queen's to myself though :LOL:.

@Ian123 read my post #13 pls?

@rolande i can see why you were saying much the same as Ian... Don't think I'll be posting my own queen's to myself though :LOL:.

I think he's saying much the same as I said!

-------------

I had a chap yesterday, on another thread, giving me my own advice which I'd posted earlier in the same thread. Not sure about all the space ship photos but the forum's certainly taking on the feel of the twilight zone....

[/QUOTE]

I think he's saying much the same as I said!

-------------

I had a chap yesterday, on another thread, giving me my own advice which I'd posted earlier in the same thread. Not sure about all the space ship photos but the forum's certainly taking on the feel of the twilight zone....
[/QUOTE]
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::judge:

Does anyone have thoughts on post #13 pls
Anyway I've been out and brushed the cluster under the hive back in the box and put a frame of eggs in there to get a diffinitive answer on what's going on!!

Anyway I've been out and brushed the cluster under the hive back in the box and put a frame of eggs in there to get a diffinitive answer on what's going on!!
And now they are building queen cells thankfully so they are queenless,
Still miffed by the eggs found though why are they not building from these?
Laying worker so they will be drones?

Are the bees roaring as if queenless? Do you have any other hives or splits on site requeening? Have you looked for an unmarked queen?

Latest posts

Back