What's going on??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
Don't know about the weather reports. Warmest day of the year here so far (18 degrees) and my bees are going absolutely beelistic!

So far as I can guess, they are either:

- just glad to be alive and enjoying the warmth;

- on to a particularly rich source of nectar;

- starving after the recent cold weather and desparate for anything they can find (unlikely, since a week ago they all had loads of stores); or

- fed up with me, and planning to swarm.

Trouble is, they are so hyper that I am not keen to go and explore further.

Just let them get on with it and carry out you usual inspections.

what forage are they working / pollen colour(s)?
Rape can make them a bit stroppy / active / defensive

No rape around here. Not quite sure what they are feeding on at present, though there was loads of nectar in the supers (two on each hive) when I last checked.

Did an AS with one hive mid-week. The other hive probably needs the same, but it has been too cold until today. Will have to try and go in though, because it has been a week since I removed half a dozen Queen cells from it.

Well it's freezing cold here (will freeze tonight)
Bees not flying.

Feels like early March

Not particularly warm in Wigan but the bees are bucketing pollen in :).
These bees are far from black but have Wintered well and have 2 supers On 1 full !
I was about to pop this queen off last late Summer to make splits for re-queening with SUPERIOR BEES. Wifey persuaded me to keep her so I put her in a hive on the frame she occupied ,2 frames of foundation either side and a follower board . She easily got the numbers up to take her through Winter , apart from a little chalk brood, I can't fault her .
Talk about "the grass always being greener " ???

John Wilkinson

No rape around here. Will have to try and go in though, because it has been a week since I removed half a dozen Queen cells from it.

Hope you don’t have same as me but I was in a similar position last week, removed a couple of queen cells and left them as the weather was freezing and intended to artificially swarm today but have just been to carry this out the queen is not there.
They must have tried to swarm but as queenie was clipped they returned to the hive without her. Now kicking myself:banghead: for leaving them as a missed (and capped) queen cell is now quite evident.
Will hopefully learn from this and artificially swarm when I need to rather than be dictated by weather.
Cheers
Stiffy

it is def warmer in the SW, i went to Bristol todays..lots of sandles and flip flop..like a summers day., drove back to london, cold easterly wind ,down to 3c tonight

but it shoudl warm up for the 22nd, but deluge on BH

piers corbyn's weather action forcast issue 27 April

MAY 2010 – Essential Summary forecast:
Showery & overall cool especially NorthEast.
Ireland & South/West less cool.
Contrasting spells - wintry at times in North.
Some local heavy rain & thunder. A finer spell
later in South/SouthWest & Ireland. Wet cool
monthend with local deluges & flood risk.
Ireland & SW finer than most of Britain relative to local normals.
The essential weather type developments MAY 2010
MAY 2010 in Britain and Ireland will be often dominated by wet, cool and cloudy
conditions which turn wintry at times particularly in Scotland and north parts of Ireland;
although there will be finer spells mainly in Ireland and South England.
Cyclonic and cyclonic-Northerly conditions with the Jet Stream largely further South than
normal will be quite common, giving cool and showery weather systems covering most of
Britain & Ireland. The period 22-28th is expected to have more contrasting weather with
the SouthWest & South of Britain & Ireland turning fine, often sunny and warm by day,
while the North is more cloudy and cooler relative to local normals.
The month ends wet and cool or cold.
© Weather Action™& Piers Corbyn™ © accept no liability for any loss howsoever arising from use of forecast information. Application of forecasts is entirely at the user’s

Been all action from the bee's today....North Devon/Somerset border...18.5c and the mini nuc's have also been very lively,plenty of drone's flying as well.

Sunny today :) out in T shirt looking good for tomorrow as well 14c
Looking a bit cold at night over there on the mainland -1 london .

Latest posts

Back