What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a look at their website. I was last there 35 years ago! It’s changed a bit 😱
Don’t know about Quince but Dan is on the forum. Not posted fir a while but drops in to look now and then.

478A64F7-AA93-477B-9E20-A59EE8B97002.jpeg
26 November Hazel is out 7 C and some hives still out flying in reasonable numbers - mad season

Flowering cherry out in North London streets; usually begins in January.

Never seen a honey bee on Fatsia japonica or hazel.
I’ll have a look around tomorrow morning to see if it’s doing the same in West London. Too cold tomorrow for foraging but then it looks like it’s getting a bit warmer.

I’ll have a look around tomorrow morning to see if it’s doing the same in West London. Too cold tomorrow for foraging but then it looks like it’s getting a bit warmer.
Do you mean this type I've seen it flowering Winter flowering cherry

I don't believe it... Two years ago my huge eucalyptus tree bloomed in April, and the bees were all over it. Last year it flowered in November, when they were all tucked up in bed. This year - same again. It is just coming into flower now and the weather is freezing, literally. Not a bee to be seen and all that food going to waste. Maybe it thinks it is in Australia and it is Springtime

You're right, Mark. The link describes the flowering period as November - March, so it's not at all early.
I have mahonia in full flower which is not unusual at this time of year . They got frost plus wind chill damage during the beast from the east . I thought I’d lost them . I fear the worst after the wind and low temperatures yesterday and over night .😧

I have mahonia in full flower which is not unusual at this time of year . They got frost plus wind chill damage during the beast from the east . I thought I’d lost them . I fear the worst after the wind and low temperatures yesterday and over night .😧
I have mahonia out as well. Only attracting bumbles as so chilly here. Also a few bumbles on the Eleagnus.

I don't believe it... Two years ago my huge eucalyptus tree bloomed in April, and the bees were all over it. Last year it flowered in November, when they were all tucked up in bed. This year - same again. It is just coming into flower now and the weather is freezing, literally. Not a bee to be seen and all that food going to waste. Maybe it thinks it is in Australia and it is Springtime
Do you know what sort of eucalyptus is it?

No, I don't - it is huge, the branches are smooth but the trunk is quite gnarly because it sheds a lot. I'll add a picture showing the blossom and leaf.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13
No, I don't - it is huge, the branches are smooth but the trunk is quite gnarly because it sheds a lot. I'll add a picture showing the blossom and leaf.
It does look a bit like our (Tasmanian) Cider Gum - Eucalyptus gunnii. A tough, cold tolerant tree endemic to this island, and I've been advised before on this forum that they are often the eucalyptus grown in the UK. Do you think it perhaps matches the description below? They reckon it can flower in any month if that is what it is. One thing here is that birds (parrots and honeyeaters), are often the pollinators of gum trees, and are available year round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_gunnii#/media/File:Eucalyptus_gunni_flowers.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those fall on some of my hives 2 years ago. It only got the end one and just took off the roof and bent the stand! No casualties!!!!!
IMG_1727.JPG

Hellebores should be out soon and the mahonia I planted in August has some nice fat buds on it. Spent this morning putting in a cotoneaster and some Teucrium Fruticans (early Christmas prez from the in-laws) by the front door which tends to get the the salt laden winds off the sea but should be ok and will flower right through the summer.
IMG_1668.JPGIMG_1672.JPG

Latest posts

Back