What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a jar of honey around to a nearby customer and the Snowberry shrub was being paid much attention to by the local AM's.

I've got a mint growing which has been covered in bees, honey and bumble, hover flies, butterflies and many other flies and moths for at least a month and still going strong. Sadly I'm not sure which mint (should keep better records), if anyone has any bright ideas.....

Simon

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Flowers.jpg
    Flowers.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 7
  • Leaves.jpg
    Leaves.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 6
I've got a mint growing which has been covered in bees, honey and bumble, hover flies, butterflies and many other flies and moths for at least a month and still going strong. Sadly I'm not sure which mint (should keep better records), if anyone has any bright ideas.....

Simon
That’s quite a lot of flower. I have a chocolate mint that the girls seem to appreciate.
Girls and chocolate eh?298AD240-9A58-46CC-BFF0-5DA700ED3DAA.jpeg

Bees all over the Japanese knotweed collecting nectar. I thought it only produced pollen.20210907_172746.jpg

Simon
Is that double mint?

Is that double mint?
Thanks

I think it must be apple or wooly or roundleaf (all the same) mint, Methna rotundifolia or Mentha suaveolens (again seem to be the same thing).

My reason for doubting is I don't get any apple smell / taste. But I can't find anything else and everything else is right.

Anyway, brilliant for the bees whatever, if a bit of a wanderer like most mints.

Simon

Does anyone know what clover is well worked such as above? I planted
White Dutch, Trifolium last Spring and it did not attract bees.
Trifolium repens is by far the most worked, this season is the first time for me to have bees near the red clover.
Maybe the temp wasn't good enough ive seen white clover being worked at min 18c, my thought would be the conditions and better forage around at that time, try having it flower late may June time or even later in the summer.
Edit: End of July into August when the blackberrys are slowing down.

Last edited:

Attachments

• B05514CE-5E24-4E99-B9EF-A85D6B12024D.jpeg
    B05514CE-5E24-4E99-B9EF-A85D6B12024D.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back