What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe a sign of what’s been happening the last few weeks and even earlier?
I think that's the most likely explanation ... it was an odd spring, summer was sporadic and wet in some places and now, down here on the South coast no rain for three weeks after torrential downpours. It was hotter last week in Scotland than it was down here ... my cherry trees are dropping their leaves but the sycamores are not even showing signs of losing their's. Weird all round ....

Too early for it to be in bloom ... are you sure it was Ivy ? There's quite a few Ivy look-alikes - or perhaps there was something amongst the Ivy they had found ?
Not that good at technology but hope i have attached a photo from dog walk this morning. Lots of yellow stamens visible and the bees are on the flowers. No aphids that i can see as i thought of that one

Attachments

• 20210830_110355.jpg
    20210830_110355.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
Great swathes of ragwort around here, bees love it and bring in loads of pollen: guess who is very allergic to ragwort so wish it would come to an end.

Not that good at technology but hope i have attached a photo from dog walk this morning. Lots of yellow stamens visible and the bees are on the flowers. No aphids that i can see as i thought of that one
Looks like Ivy in flower !! Amazing ... mind you - if your bees are on it and you still have supers on you will have to watch out as it sets like concrete ! The bees will use it though ....

I did a double take on my drive home last night, Ivy very close to that stage on a wall at roadside. It won't be long.
Spent an hour beforehand picking blackberries and noticed quite a few of the bees on the fruit. Picked a few pounds and there are loads of damsons possibly a week away from ripe.
Up above the brambles, the bees were all over the buddleia bushes.

Saw the same in Bath on the sunny side of the hedge.

Great swathes of ragwort around here, bees love it and bring in loads of pollen: guess who is very allergic to ragwort so wish it would come to an end.
I always like to see it as my girls can top up on both pollen and nectar after I have taken of the main honey. Have you ever tasted ragwort honey??

Ivy in bud just about to “pop” up here. East Yorkshire. Lots of ragwort in flower.

Well I was thinking of pulling out the last clump of Japanese Anemone this autumn but as the bees are working it furiously for pollen, it’ll get a reprieve!
Sedums, asters and verbena all in full flower and covered in bees, especially the sedums.

Attachments

• 3316B1AD-4A15-4C25-85B9-0B3B4DE872FA.jpeg
    3316B1AD-4A15-4C25-85B9-0B3B4DE872FA.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 3
Well I was thinking of pulling out the last clump of Japanese Anemone this autumn but as the bees are working it furiously for pollen, it’ll get a reprieve!
Sedums, asters and verbena all in full flower and covered in bees, especially the sedums.
Same here all over the sedum,cosmos and anemones, still lots of flowers in the garden, a result of no holiday, dead heading twice a day and regular feeling

Attachments

• 20210903_164355.jpg
    20210903_164355.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210903_164418.jpg
    20210903_164418.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210903_164432.jpg
    20210903_164432.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210903_165753.jpg
    20210903_165753.jpg