What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@elainemary could be the temperature your bees are flying a fair distance to the Heather from your garden? I've seen it with some of mine yesterday on the Clee the flow has started here but brood frames are getting full, only the odd super frames with fresh Nectar and partly capped frames in three days.
Lots of Heather pollen going into the hives though.
Just a couple of fields away to our nearest heather. A friend has said the only time he has seen festooning at the entrance was when his bees were on the lime. Described it as punchdrunk and a bit disoriented from the very strong nectar. Can’t think of any other explanations 🤔

Just a couple of fields away to our nearest heather. A friend has said the only time he has seen festooning at the entrance was when his bees were on the lime. Described it as punchdrunk and a bit disoriented from the very strong nectar. Can’t think of any other explanations 🤔
Nectar drunk sounds about right, when I was watching the bees leave the vetch fields they were like that slowly taking of and landing on the doorstep like how you have discribed so it would stand to reason.

Bees loving my neighbours red hot poker!!!!! Don't know the Latin name sorry but bet its not as funny. Sedum just starting to bloom

Purple loostrife around my pond is always covered in my bees and lots of other pollinators and insects of all sorts ... it spreads like mad so you have to watch it but it's a great bee plant when other species have largely stopped flowering - mine has been in bloom for three weeks or more and is still going strong.
The veg bed I have onions in this year has mostly grown purple loostrife, have seen in previous years lots of root/rhizhome. Will be potting some up for transfer to the wilder areas of the garden

The veg bed I have onions in this year has mostly grown purple loostrife, have seen in previous years lots of root/rhizhome. Will be potting some up for transfer to the wilder areas of the garden
They only need a small amount of root to start another plant off ... best to leave them until they die down in the autumn and then dig the plant up and split the roots and replant the root cuttings wherever you want them - bear in mind the seeds will self set as well (although the birds love the seeds) so be careful what you wish for !

They only need a small amount of root to start another plant off ... best to leave them until they die down in the autumn and then dig the plant up and split the roots and replant the root cuttings wherever you want them - bear in mind the seeds will self set as well (although the birds love the seeds) so be careful what you wish for !
Well it turns out I had misidentified it, it wasn't in flower and I was looking at the leaves and stem. Saw the first flowers today and I think it's marsh woundwort.

Well it turns out I had misidentified it, it wasn't in flower and I was looking at the leaves and stem. Saw the first flowers today and I think it's marsh woundwort.
Yes ... I can see why you would make the mistake - Loostrife has smooth edged leaves rather than serrated edges and the flowers are quite different, you can't mistake it once it has flowered.

There is so much Himalayan Balsam and some heather available here, accompanied by warm and humid weather. Two developing colonies, which were just filling a deep brood a couple of weeks ago, are now stretching the nest into the shallow above and lining that with a fair bit of nectar/honey.
It's PITA really, as I wanted to include them in my newfangled treatment regime. :banghead: It looks like they've elected to go treatment-free because I'm banking on snaffling a few frames of honey from them.

There is so much Himalayan Balsam and some heather available here, accompanied by warm and humid weather. Two developing colonies, which were just filling a deep brood a couple of weeks ago, are now stretching the nest into the shallow above and lining that with a fair bit of nectar/honey.
It's PITA really, as I wanted to include them in my newfangled treatment regime. :banghead: It looks like they've elected to go treatment-free because I'm banking on snaffling a few frames of honey from them.
What’s wrong with putting a few cleaning strips in? You could still eat the honey

What’s wrong with putting a few cleaning strips in? You could still eat the honey

I must admit, it's looking a bit grubby after all my meddling with frames this year. Presumably, the varroa prefer a dirty hive?:laughing-smiley-014

Latest posts

Back