What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. I’ve planted several and as you say they buzz. Wasps like them in August too.
Persicaria that is....
White ones are not so popular though.

Firetail is the one to get, my specimen came from a compost heap 7 years ago. It started life as just a single strand/stem with one small lance of flowers obviously with tiny bit of the rhyzome/crown.
Now it has turned into this monster and has spurned several other plants by simply dividing the crown with a spade in Jan/ Feb. Cut all of the plant back to the crown late Dec or in Jan and divide, it needs no special treatment and grows on any soil simply sit it on the surface and press it in to the ground.
Bees were on it by 07.30 this morning.

I planted it on the front corner since it has grown and now encroaches on the door opening and nearly touches the privet hedge by the bin.

DSCF1234.JPG

Last edited:
Any idea what this is, in the hedgerow bees all over it

Attachments

• IMG-20210731-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210731-WA0005.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 43
Not sure what it is, a positive id will be welcomed, bees absolutely love it:
IMG_20210804_115433.jpgIMG_20210804_152133.jpg

Last edited:
Firetail is the one to get, my specimen came from a compost heap 7 years ago. It started life as just a single strand/stem with one small lance of flowers obviously with tiny bit of the rhyzome/crown.
Now it has turned into this monster and has spurned several other plants by simply dividing the crown with a spade in Jan/ Feb. Cut all of the plant back to the crown late Dec or in Jan and divide, it needs no special treatment and grows on any soil simply sit it on the surface and press it in to the ground.
Bees were on it by 07.30 this morning.

I planted it on the front corner since it has grown and now encroaches on the door opening and nearly touches the privet hedge by the bin.

View attachment 27508

This is my monster, which started life as three small plants. I’m on heavy clay and it seems to thrive.
As you said the bees are on it from early doors until the sun has gone down.

Attachments

• 2D9C0BAD-01A4-4E68-BF59-49F647DD05B5.jpeg
    2D9C0BAD-01A4-4E68-BF59-49F647DD05B5.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 37
Looking very good Poot, clay based here as well which they do thrive on well.
My specimen by the door was simply a buzz with noise at 15.00 today when I returned home.

This is my monster, which started life as three small plants. I’m on heavy clay and it seems to thrive.
As you said the bees are on it from early doors until the sun has gone down.
Just ordered some! Just need to find a space to shoehorn it into now…..

I spotted this huge field which is possibly slightly beyond my bees foraging distance at two and a half miles.
It's not a crop I can see any purpose for, other than for wildlife. But I couldn't see any beehives around and the only bees were of the bumble variety.085 (2).JPG

Back