What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sycamore is well out but it’s raining for at least the next ten days.
Hawthorn on the cusp but it’s staying cold
Every spring I’m full of hope. Every spring the weather gives my bees a kicking. I’m running out of springs 😬
Are you sure about the sycamore?
I'm a week ahead of you (ish) a few miles south yet my sycamore is still threatening to be out rather than actually being out.

Are you sure about the sycamore?
I'm a week ahead of you (ish) a few miles south yet my sycamore is still threatening to be out rather than actually being out.
Yes plenty out. The tree in the apiary was humming this morning

Sun out at the moment can see bees on the sycamore and my clematis montana:nature-smiley-013:

Workers out this morning on field maple and crab apples. Heard first cuckoo this year. Then drowned out by thunder and heavy rain showers. Fields around are under water again. Thoughts of spring honey a distant dream.
Michael

IMG_20210517_143452.jpgIMG_20210517_143359.jpg
Whortle berry's flowering well on the hills.
Had a look at some of the Heather on my travels, one thing I love about beekeeping is checking on the forage like a mad plantsmen taking samples and photos.

I had a bit of a drive around this morning but found hardly any OSR. An estate that I keep bees on said they are growing about one-third the amount they would do usually. It's cereals as far as the eye can see around here :-(

I had a bit of a drive around this morning but found hardly any OSR. An estate that I keep bees on said they are growing about one-third the amount they would do usually. It's cereals as far as the eye can see around here :-(
Some of the osr round me got cut down just as it started flowering.

I noticed on Friday 6 feilds very near to the bees still green and only just opening pls don't cut this lot down..

We've got a lot more of it than last year over aproximately 180 degrees of the southern outlook of my "beeyard" ;) and at about one to two miles away. The bees are coming in looking like golden girls, covered top to toe in pollen, and the hive is giving off a not totally pleasant but very welcome scent of nectar.

Back