What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it's fantastic. At a distance, when you just catch a hint of it, but this quantity, under your windows, can be too much.

Ignore the mess! It's a good hedge; evergreen, bushy, fast-growing. This one is cut twice a year to contain it. It's starting to go over now. You can see all the white petals on the ground.

Terrible problem down here with Box blight tho .... so just worried how long it would last here :-(

Spotted loads of Blackthorn out today. First time I've seen it this year!

Only as precaution, as they were strong and filling brood combs. Supers had been nadired over winter and a quarter full of bees, so just a quick move up. Queens laying fast.

Similar nectar story from another beefarmer in West Essex.
Double wow! and it begins love it!

Only as precaution, as they were strong and filling brood combs. Supers had been nadired over winter and a quarter full of bees, so just a quick move up. Queens laying fast.

Similar nectar story from another beefarmer in West Essex.
We’ve got quite a few cherry trees near us in full flower and the plum trees are opening up around us. I was wondering whether there would be much of a nectar flow or whether higher temperatures are required for that. It’s getting up to about 13 degrees and sunny here at the minute? How would I ascertain whether it would be prudent to put supers on or am I just getting a bit over enthusiastic?

We’ve got quite a few cherry trees near us in full flower and the plum trees are opening up around us. I was wondering whether there would be much of a nectar flow or whether higher temperatures are required for that. It’s getting up to about 13 degrees and sunny here at the minute? How would I ascertain whether it would be prudent to put supers on or am I just getting a bit over enthusiastic?
That’s early for cherry and plum. Ours here are still in tight bud.

It's beautiful just standing under the tree and hearing the buzz of bees working. There were a few Long Tailed Tits doing the same.

Attachments

• 562A580B-AE58-4D1D-B6D2-240758CCAC57.jpeg
    562A580B-AE58-4D1D-B6D2-240758CCAC57.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28
am I just getting a bit over enthusiastic?
Quite likely. 🙂

Best check and assess before acting. If a brood nest is filling but forecast is uncertain, put a broadsheet of newspaper below the super.

If cold weather returns heat will be conserved, but if bees need space they'll chew through.

Quite likely. 🙂

Best check and assess before acting. If a brood nest is filling but forecast is uncertain, put a broadsheet of newspaper below the super.

If cold weather returns heat will be conserved, but if bees need space they'll chew through.
That's a neat trick. I'll take note of that.

40ft box. What variety is that.? Our boxes are knee high to a grasshopper! Still the bees are out on crocus, and bringing in pale creamy grey pollen - from willow? They also had a good go at stinking hellibore but that seems over now. Black thorn just starting to open and viburnum tinens.

The Box is not a true box of the genus but a winter smelly box of the Sarcococco specie.

The girls all over the 500 crocus we planted, so exciting to see them out

Attachments

• DSC_2069.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back