What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've borage just about to flower in my garden! Strange year.
It's been a strange season altogether Neil.. We could do with a beast from the east and some of this. IMG_20171211_132203.jpg
We had drifts higher than the disco in places even made an igloo.

I have cowslips out in the garden and some holly and the dandelions have been in flower in bits and pieces since April.
Now I have got two plants to check out, big patch of butterbur in a garden and all the hollies around. Do the hollies still have berries and flowers - Antipodean style? Did see a wild cherry tree in flower as well, but no bees on it. Perhaps a bit early in the day as I had plenty of incoming white and yellow pollen this afternoon.

Now I have got two plants to check out, big patch of butterbur in a garden and all the hollies around. Do the hollies still have berries and flowers - Antipodean style? Did see a wild cherry tree in flower as well, but no bees on it. Perhaps a bit early in the day as I had plenty of incoming white and yellow pollen this afternoon.
Yes one tree has flowers and berries. Most of the hollies here, alas, are male.

Last edited:
It's 9 degC and the borage is out....... no bees on it today!

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
It is 'arbutus unedo' so it says on the label.
Its been in the garden for years but I've never paid attention to it.
Im going to try and propagate it via hardwood cuttings once it finishes flowering, it must be pretty Hardy.

It is 'arbutus unedo' so it says on the label.
Its been in the garden for years but I've never paid attention to it.
Im going to try and propagate it via hardwood cuttings once it finishes flowering, it must be pretty Hardy.
Seeds germinate very easily too

Don’t see why not. It’s not as if your strawberry tree is grafted is it.
I germinated a whole tray a few years back then didn’t look after them and they all died. 😬
No its not grafted dani as far as I'm aware... Any advice as to taking hardwood cuttings? 😁
Im going to see if cgf can successfully grow some.
We have taken some hardwood cuttings already.
Acers, Holly, ceanothus, lace hydrangea which is a climber and the bees love that.
I've got a rare Montana clematis called Marjorie which comes out orangey colour and it is slightly scented but I'll take soft wood cuttings from new growth in the spring these will go in the propagator..
I really like my clematis Montanas I've collected a few over the years.
Ruben's, pink perfection to name a few.

Just because it's winter it doesn't mean that propagation has to stop.
Tom's will go in the prop after Xmas.
I put lots of onion sets out in the tunnel in January they will be ready early May, we've got to eat all those greens first 🤢 if I can pick the weeds out that seam to be growing still.
Something is always growing :)

My hardwood cuttings of any kind just get buried deep at the edge of one of the raised veg beds and left for a year.
I am mollycoddling some blueberry cuttings which have been sitting in deep pots on a heated propagator tray since Covid struck.

Seeing trees blossoming here in Dorset. Too cold today for the girls to benefit and will probably be knocked back the cold/frosty mornings. Very unseasonal!

Latest posts

Back