What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look a good year for bramble (blackberry) and clover, but we need rain now to keep them going,

Isn't it crazy. Today we finished wrapping the New York apiaries. It's been so cold...yesterday particularly so. Still wrapped hives wearing full winter dress. And today it reached 56˚F. And there it was...Yellow Pollen! They always surprise me. Mid November. Weeks of hard freezes. Every flowering plant brown and dead. And we see yellow pollen coming in.

Perhaps a Witch Hazel in someones garden?

Saw several bramble bushes with flowers on while out walking in the sun today! This mad year......

The fields around me are awash in Dandelions in the spring and Clover in the summer. Alas the weather was pants for the clover but I got some Dandelion honey

Last edited:
M

Maybe there's easier forage around.
I've found temps need to be above 20c+
For clover
Afternoons are good time.
Ok, sounds plausible. We have 28 forecast tomorrow so I'll see.

This next footage is more what's NOT flowering in the area. These brambles were sprayed just as they were starting to flower. All that lovely tasty and healthy fruit gone to waste too.
View attachment VID_20201124_084319118.mp4

Ok, sounds plausible. We have 28 forecast tomorrow so I'll see.

This next footage is more what's NOT flowering in the area. These brambles were sprayed just as they were starting to flower. All that lovely tasty and healthy fruit gone to waste too.
View attachment 23113
Gutted why?! it's not like it's a big stand of brambles.

Gutted why?! it's not like it's a big stand of brambles.
Yeah...but it did extend all along the road verge for probably 50 meters. A farmer I spoke to reckons it is not the best time to spray them anyhow as they sprout back sort of like strawberry runners from the picture I was getting.

Yeah...but it did extend all along the road verge for probably 50 meters. A farmer I spoke to reckons it is not the best time to spray them anyhow as they sprout back sort of like strawberry runners from the picture I was getting.
True but all the same there was forage there and any flowers left could potentially effect any insects, I hate spraying there's other means of getting rid of brambles albeit there labour intensive.

I have cowslips out in the garden and some holly and the dandelions have been in flower in bits and pieces since April.

I have cowslips out in the garden and some holly and the dandelions have been in flower in bits and pieces since April.
There's also annual poppy's still flowering.. On the way to the farm this morning there was bramble flowering still.
My polys at home on the hill have been flowering for an age.
Strange autumn indeed for the bee's
Yesterday morning at 5am it was - 5
Today at 5am 11c crazy temps.

My wife said the Italians are trying to Rob hives again today.
They have stores a plenty it's not like they have none.

Latest posts

Back