What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of ivy flowering here but no bees on it, only plenty of wasps. Perhaps they should be told.
The bees are instead going mad for the asters. Maybe it's a case of why eat bread when there's cake?

Plenty of ivy flowering here but no bees on it, only plenty of wasps. Perhaps they should be told.
The bees are instead going mad for the asters. Maybe it's a case of why eat bread when there's cake?
Yes had masses of bees on the little white asters at 6 degrees today

Hawthorn of course.
It's a dirty urinal smell unfortunately isn't it?
IMG_20201019_185432248.jpg

Hawthorn of course.
It's a dirty urinal smell unfortunately isn't it?
View attachment 22620
You must have some strange urinals where you are (or strange urine) The ripening honey may have a slight tinge of silage, but the flowers smell divine

I agree
Walking past a stand of hawthorn on a spring morning to bathed in its heavy scent is heaven 😃
I have quite a bit of hawthorn on some land about three fields away from me, when the conditions are right, even the garden is full of its scent.
The smell of it ripening is a different matter. Had someone on here quite a few years ago now who was in a bit of a panic as they thought they had foulbrood in the hives - yep, it was hawthorn....

I agree
Walking past a stand of hawthorn on a spring morning to bathed in its heavy scent is heaven 😃
That's interesting as I offered up a branch from that tree yesterday with flowers on it for my wife to smell, and she dry retched. Now that might sound cruel to some, but I did warn her!

I have quite a bit of hawthorn on some land about three fields away from me, when the conditions are right, even the garden is full of its scent.
The smell of it ripening is a different matter. Had someone on here quite a few years ago now who was in a bit of a panic as they thought they had foulbrood in the hives - yep, it was hawthorn....
Harwthorne lover here...

Love Hawthorn, reminds me of my childhood. Practically all the hedgerows were Hawthorn and you could smell it throughout the village.
Love Hawthorn, reminds me of my childhood. Practically all the hedgerows were Hawthorn and you could smell it throughout the village.
Me too...a childhood reminder that is. It's a strong scent.

We had a copse in a creek line. Really special place as the leaves and flowers came out and they grew as trees as the animals ate the lower leaves. This is a photo from a week ago from another spot. Sort of Christmas colours there with the red, green and white I thought.IMG_20201012_115206676.jpg.

Me too...a childhood reminder that is. It's a strong scent.

We had a copse in a creek line. Really special place as the leaves and flowers came out and they grew as trees as the animals ate the lower leaves. This is a photo from a week ago from another spot. Sort of Christmas colours there with the red, green and white I thought.View attachment 22642.
Had me well and truly puzzled there for a minute until I realised you were down under so flowering hawthorn at this time of year is to be expected.
I spent the best part of a year backpacking round Australia over 20 years ago (although never made it to Tazzy) and found it strange how you guys do Christmas. There's something strange walking out of a shopping centre playing "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" into 40+ degrees of unrelenting sun.

Had me well and truly puzzled there for a minute until I realised you were down under so flowering hawthorn at this time of year is to be expected.
I spent the best part of a year backpacking round Australia over 20 years ago (although never made it to Tazzy) and found it strange how you guys do Christmas. There's something strange walking out of a shopping centre playing "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" into 40+ degrees of unrelenting sun.

I agree..it's very odd with the carols.:nature-smiley-016:

I am still puzzled hawthorn berries and flowers?
Sorry did not make myself clear hawthorn berries and hawthorn flowers at the same time. Our hawthorn berries never survive the winter.

Back