What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Choisia on my partners allotment is proving most popular! It's a useful shrub as it generally flowers twice, early and late. I see some Ceanothus is also flowering again too.

Attachments

• choisia.jpg
    choisia.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • choisia2.jpg
    choisia2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
The Choisia on my partners allotment is proving most popular! It's a useful shrub as it generally flowers twice, early and late. I see some Ceanothus is also flowering again too.
I've noticed many shrubs/climbers flowering for a second time over the last few weeks, albeit minimal flowers magnolia, clematis Montana (Ruben's) even the odd fruit tree.

Looks like a nice old pear tree in full bloom. I remembered everything today: hive tool, gloves, the lot, but forgot the spade!

IMG_20200926_164206615.jpg

I thought Italian bees were yellow
They are, the Queen is completely that colour.. she was open mated with Amm stock locally
The workers are about 75% black and 25% yellow/orange.

Her mother is also Italian but here workers are more yellow/orange than black.. The genetics are fading:(

My mentoree is lucky, because she is a lovely prolific queen and they are really gentle bees, he only inspects with a vail and maregolds and wears slipper shoes. :cool:
The parent colony have foraged in 10.5 c temps

Last edited:
Lovely to see my mentorees bees foraging today.
2020 Italian locals.

Plenty of pollen coming in there Mark!

They are a nice looking bee.

Here are some of my Italian bees. In addition to these bees on top of this hive, the blurry bees on the hive in this photo are Italian and they have a lovely golden hue gathering at the front of the hives against the white paint. Certain light reveals very golden legs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_162553248_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200926_162553248_HDR.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 21
Plenty of pollen coming in there Mark!

They are a nice looking bee.

Here are some of my Italian bees. In addition to these bees on top of this hive, the blurry bees on the hive in this photo are Italian and they have a lovely golden hue gathering at the front of the hives against the white paint. Certain light reveals very golden legs.
Mine aren't as Italian looking as yours :). My grandad had them years ago(Italians) so they are really just local bees.. All though last season I gave a swarm to a fellow beekeeper and he said there's Italian genetics in thoughs bees.. It made me feel good at the time.

I would be hard pushed to get stock like yours in this country, saying that I've not looked as yet.

Mine aren't as Italian looking as yours :). My grandad had them years ago(Italians) so they are really just local bees.. All though last season I gave a swarm to a fellow beekeeper and he said there's Italian genetics in thoughs bees.. It made me feel good at the time.

I would be hard pushed to get stock like yours in this country, saying that I've not looked as yet.

Do you know about the Ligurian bees from Kangaroo Island, South Australia? Supposed to be the only pure ones left in the world. I reckon they ship across the world. Could be a bit of (probably expensive) fun.No AFB, EFB, Varroa, Small hive beetle apparently either.

http://www.nativefoodandwine.com/features-journal/the-ligurian-bees-of-kangaroo-island.html

Do you know about the Ligurian bees from Kangaroo Island, South Australia? Supposed to be the only pure ones left in the world. I reckon they ship across the world. Could be a bit of (probably expensive) fun.No AFB, EFB, Varroa, Small hive beetle apparently either.

http://www.nativefoodandwine.com/features-journal/the-ligurian-bees-of-kangaroo-island.html
Probably not a good idea to talk about importing bees from out side the UK
On here its a bit of a no no.

I've a friend in Australia that farms over there, one of my college friends moved there after going out there to shear sheep in the early 2000s.
As far as I'm aware his father in law keeps a few hives.
Maybe one day I'll travel to see him.
Good night :)

Probably not a good idea to talk about importing bees from out side the UK
On here its a bit of a no no.
Really? there's been loads of posts and discussions/advice about requeening with imported stock here lately. This forum is a broad church and although some may air their personal views on imported queens, it certainly isn't the forum ethos.

Last edited:
My eldest lad has just dropped of 3 supers of ivy honey and he was saying that the ivy flow is back on again girls going mad for it.
He also said that after checking some nucs that there is 5 frames of brood so he has added a second nuc box to give them some space.
Im still not feeling good so I can't get out to them.. Frustrating on my part because I'm not one to sit on my hands.

I've just walked down the garden and the colonys in the garden are really busy, at least I can sit and watch them from just a metre or two away.

My eldest lad has just dropped of 3 supers of ivy honey and he was saying that the ivy flow is back on again girls going mad for it.
He also said that after checking some nucs that there is 5 frames of brood so he has added a second nuc box to give them some space.
Im still not feeling good so I can't get out to them.. Frustrating on my part because I'm not one to sit on my hands.

I've just walked down the garden and the colonys in the garden are really busy, at least I can sit and watch them from just a metre or two away.
Just relax and let your fingers do the walking. 😜

Just relax and let your fingers do the walking. 😜
Im taking your advice and drawing a plan of where my Mating station is going to be up here.
I do have paper work to do, Im quoting for a 12 week project for a landscape architect, but what's on the plan and what the team leader has sent me doesn't seem to add up some how.
Bloody architects and there cad drawings, it's all well and good siting at a computer but 9 times out of 10 there shxx.
I've been working for this architect for 10 years or more.. It makes me wonder how he became a judge at Chelsea flower show.

Ow well.... Plan for my Mating station instead.

..........architects and there cad drawings, it's all well and good siting at a computer but 9 times out of 10 there shxx.
I've been working for this architect for 10 years or more.. It makes me wonder how he became a judge at Chelsea flower show.
Now that, surely, doesn’t take much imagination 😉

Yesterday mid afternoon, slight drizzle and T. 14C, I was surprised to see a hummingbird hawkmoth on my Salvia 'Hot lips'. It's popular with the bumbles but only a few honey bees visit. I just missed the moth in the pic below but here is a link. They are amazing creatures to watch. Humming-bird Hawk-moth

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back