What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have plenty of borage as I grew out from seed in the summer, surprised how is lasted and still growing strong. Bees all over it

It’s still H. Balsam, loads of white splodges in abundance
Same here this week ivy and hb. it's the first time I've seen any amount of ghost bees.
Watched mass oriantating today its always a good sign.
Of to see a family I'm mentoring tomorrow, and winter preps on this colony.

The fuschia is still flowering, but nit sure if temperatures have been hot enough for nectar, but there is nectar coming in from somewhere.

Ivy is not quite out yet.

Yes I saw that last year but never before and since.
I have never seen so many catkins on the oaks and the trees were humming with bees

Likewise, I haven't noticed them on oak catkins in previous years, and only stopped to look up when I heard the considerable humming.

Ivy's kicked in with a vengeance here, best flow since the hawthorn finished mid May, tanking it in like the taps been opened, typical, just as I'm clearing the last sites of honey, makes it much more complicated to process as the nectar needs to be ripened before spinning.

Likewise, I haven't noticed them on oak catkins in previous years, and only stopped to look up when I heard the considerable humming.
Not the best of pics,,, the first few days of GREEN...
BEES ARE ON IT LIKE WHITE ON RICE......... The buzz is in the air,,,, bla bla bla blaaaa blaaaaa bla bla..... something something..... ???
oak tree.jpg

Not the best of pics,,, the first few days of GREEN...
BEES ARE ON IT LIKE WHITE ON RICE......... The buzz is in the air,,,, bla bla bla blaaaa blaaaaa bla bla..... something something..... ???
View attachment 22186
I like the brick paving in that court yard.. Can I ask what the ibcs are for Michael?

I like the brick paving in that court yard.. Can I ask what the ibcs are for Michael?
We collect/net small fish fry (sometimes bigger) grow them up a bit, ensure no diseases then stock other farm dams within our group/area... These tanks have a filter on the left out of site, water is then fed through IBC's and into a pond in a tortoise breeding enclosure then pumped back up.

Happy eco system = good quality drinking water for stock...

NB! Before one of the "Tree People" grill me here= Tortoise breed & release - Not for sale!

Last edited:
Still got HB going strong, ivy just starting also got a lot of cosmos a large lavateria and dahlia

NB! Before one of the "Tree People" grill me here= Tortoise breed & release - Not for sale!
I was just about to ask you what they taste like - and are they very hard to peel?

We collect/net small fish fry (sometimes bigger) grow them up a bit, ensure no diseases then stock other farm dams within our group/area... These tanks have a filter on the left out of site, water is then fed through IBC's and into a pond in a tortoise breeding enclosure then pumped back up.

Happy eco system = good quality drinking water for stock...

Our apiary site at catherton common has fish pools, he does much the same thing as you, grows the fry on then sells them, he has carp, roach, perch, koa carp among others..

When I go to inspect my hives out in the field, I have to disconnect the electric fence that runs all around the perimeter of his ground this is to stop beavers.
Do you have such problems with beavers.. He was telling me that they can pick a sent up 2 miles or more down stream, all from the water.

He's also had corvid ( crows etc) taking the young ducklings this year there a meniss and don't just take ducklings.. Owlets as well, I've seen one this year with a baby owl.

If there was one species of bird that needs culling it's them.

Our apiary site at catherton common has fish pools, he does much the same thing as you, grows the fry on then sells them, he has carp, roach, perch, koa carp among others..

When I go to inspect my hives out in the field, I have to disconnect the electric fence that runs all around the perimeter of his ground this is to stop beavers.
Do you have such problems with beavers.. He was telling me that they can pick a sent up 2 miles or more down stream, all from the water.

He's also had corvid ( crows etc) taking the young ducklings this year there a meniss and don't just take ducklings.. Owlets as well, I've seen one this year with a baby owl.

If there was one species of bird that needs culling it's them.

I run electric fences but more to keep people out! :rolleyes:
Loads of wild animals but take losses on the chin....
Fish eagles and Otters take care of population control of stocked fish...It's their job.. (Also stopped all general public fishing- ( beer bottles & rubbish)
Fry in tanks only have to deal with the odd kingfisher... As far as possible, we try and let nature manage itself unless we have interfered...
Example: If we pump a dam dry for irrigation due to lack of rainfall, we give it a helping hand to get all balanced out again... Sometimes nature needs a bit of a nudge in the right direction...

Still have plenty of borage, cosmos and sedum and a huge tree convered in ivy which I've always hated until June this year when we had bees and I learned they loved it

Latest posts

Back