What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorting out my super frames tomorrow, as it may be some heather honey to take, as I had a small amount of ivy nectar on one frame. So, there are some in flower in my locale, but none sighted.

First bit of ivy started to bloom here that I've noticed, most isn't out just yet.

IMG_20200907_193816.jpg

H Balsam.
Still getting the telltale white splodge

Ivy is starting to flower really well with this warmer weather. 24 c yesterday in corely, 18c at lineside, 20c at home,
Most colonys bringing ivy pollen in.
Two more colonys have had drawn supers.. I've only done this because they have lots of stores and are strong hives.

Goldenrod flow within days of starting. No odor yet...which is unmistakable. Broodnests are awfully light right now, after harvest. Hoping we get a flow in this dry year. We've had some decent rains recently...maybe that will kick it off.
Now about a month later. Goldenrod flow was late this year, but seemingly significant. We checked 5 apiaries across the lake in New York State today. Broodnests that were quite light before the flow, are now almost heavy enough for winter. Plenty of burr comb between the boxes...dripping with honey. Maybe the level of feeding will be lower this year

We went away for a few days and on the road to Braemar we went up to look at Corgarff Castle. You can't get away from bees; down the hill Sheila spotted a group of hives stacked high. Then we realised we were standing in a beeline, not to the heather, which is everywhere, but a to a few hectares of a flowering crop. I'm guessing the crop is intended for the bees. maybe it's to dilute the heather honey? I'm not sure NOV_8659 (2).JPGwhat it was but definitely related to turnip. ;) Plenty of hives seen between here and right down into Fife and in the winter skiing areas; so very high upNOV_8652 (2).JPG

We went away for a few days and on the road to Braemar we went up to look at Corgarff Castle. You can't get away from bees; down the hill Sheila spotted a group of hives stacked high. Then we realised we were standing in a beeline, not to the heather, which is everywhere, but a to a few hectares of a flowering crop. I'm guessing the crop is intended for the bees. maybe it's to dilute the heather honey? I'm not sure View attachment 22074what it was but definitely related to turnip. ;) Plenty of hives seen between here and right down into Fife and in the winter skiing areas; so very high upView attachment 22076
Is that not white mustard in the pic.

We went away for a few days and on the road to Braemar we went up to look at Corgarff Castle. You can't get away from bees; down the hill Sheila spotted a group of hives stacked high. Then we realised we were standing in a beeline, not to the heather, which is everywhere, but a to a few hectares of a flowering crop. I'm guessing the crop is intended for the bees. maybe it's to dilute the heather honey? I'm not sure View attachment 22074what it was but definitely related to turnip. ;) Plenty of hives seen between here and right down into Fife and in the winter skiing areas; so very high upView attachment 22076
Migratory beekeeping??
There's some lovely stacks there.. The honey will be interesting if its mixed Heather and mustard

Latest posts

Back