What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Hebe;s and Persicaria 'firetail' in the garden.
Guess I will find out for sure next summer when the honey samples results come in.

Hb growing where it shouldn't be.
On the Clee also B leaf rosebay.
4e6234b34930a1d679fa5f2eb8058f14.jpg
0a9c7eccd30e86c216310f91fb9861a5.jpg
8bd596c9c77baf18ea579147d525cc04.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
07e3bf536b6daddff5695103cbaba3cd.jpg

Last edited:
That last picture is greater willowherb rather than broad leaf willowherb although i imagine you will have both flowering on the Clee, as well as rosebay willowherb.

That last picture is greater willowherb rather than broad leaf willowherb although i imagine you will have both flowering on the Clee, as well as rosebay willowherb.
Cheers for that, how many types of willow herb is there?

I've a hammer in one hand and a trowel in the other.. Makes you wonder how I'm replying to you.
Cheers.

Makes me shudder to think
Just remember to wipe the screen when you've finished!

Makes me shudder to think

Just remember to wipe the screen when you've finished!
I may have three legs but I haven't got three arms.

A cover crop of buckwheat , phacelia and clover. Clover not yet flowering.
Acres and acres of it.
Bees are all over the phacelia and bringing in lots of the purple pollen, but dont seem interested in the buckwheat.

Attachments

• IMG_2844-ed1.jpg
    IMG_2844-ed1.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 32
A cover crop of buckwheat , phacelia and clover. Clover not yet flowering.
Acres and acres of it.
Bees are all over the phacelia and bringing in lots of the purple pollen, but dont seem interested in the buckwheat.

Someone is 'in clover', I am sure the bees will follow.

I think there are 10 endemic to the UK. Near me (East Midlands) we have a lot of rosebay willowherb (tall, purple thin trumpet shaped flowers clustered on a tall spikes), greater willowherb (as in your picture), broad leafed (pale pink flowers) and fringed willowherb (small, delicate flowers, light purple and tubular).

Gets complicated by them often having different names. Bombweed or fireweed often used for RBWH as they quickly colonise, greater WH is sometimes called hairy (latin name is E. hirsutum).

Currently, hardy geraniums are the bees favourites in the sun or shade. It seems the flowers must produce nectar all day, whilst the persicarias are only buzzing when in the sun.
Still another flush of bramble to come - quite a lot still budding up.
HB in flower along the river, but I’ve not seen any ghost bees yet.

Currently, hardy geraniums are the bees favourites in the sun or shade. It seems the flowers must produce nectar all day, whilst the persicarias are only buzzing when in the sun.

Still another flush of bramble to come - quite a lot still budding up.

HB in flower along the river, but I’ve not seen any ghost bees yet.
Same here the hb is covered with bumbles today.
Some one down the road decided to through a few seed down, now we have a 2 miles of it growing in the dingles we're the briars grow, even in some of the field margins.

c800996710a398c81223c04e56f2b219.jpg

Last edited:
Ling heather is just starting to flower, one or two at the moment amongst many and they all had one bee collecting pollen. Also, noticed some young gorse in flower.

Latest posts

Back