What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sudden massive burst of Bramble in my area over the last day or so.
Likewise here. Duetizia, Wegelia, and Nepeta are also flowering beautifully and are covered in honey bees, bumble bees and some others needing identification!

Collecting pollen and nectar from Love in the Mist.

Attachments

• CD97C71E-E2AB-4639-B0D5-5AFA9E0AB091.jpeg
    CD97C71E-E2AB-4639-B0D5-5AFA9E0AB091.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 51
:drool5:I had a small amount of clover pollen coming in and a very large field of white clover flowering next to one of my apiaries yesterday. I have never seen this field in flower so early.

Sunniest spring on record might have had something to do with it. Amazing

Pyracantha is so covered in flower you can hardly see the leaves, got clover red & white, bramble just starting, privet about a week off, strawberries still producing lots of flowers but only about a week left, peas & beans just coming in to flower. Best thing is on the allotments people are there every day watering so bees still bringing plenty in

Some brambles about to flower but several large ones don't appear to have any flowers budding. Weigela and deutzia very popular with the bumbles, but not honey bees. The bees have been very quiet these last few hot days and I'm hoping they won't be crabby when I inspect tomorrow, as it looks like we're in a forage dearth.

Cabbage palm/cordyline is flowering, bees are working it, still some Rowan in flower, hawthorn is flowering, bramble looks like it will flower soon

BlackBerry is starting to produce around me amber nectar in the frames.

In the garden, Francis Lester has done his thing and there's a huge cascade of flowers and the bees are loving it. The Eringium is turning blue and I can't wait to see that in action.
Bramble is starting with plenty to come and RWH is standing 5 feet tall with buds colouring up.
Varied pollen going in today but a lot of dark orange stuffI

Just standing near the hives today (too windy to open), I see bees coming back completely covered with orange pollen. Similar colour as dandelion, but the bee is completely covered. From couple meters away you see orange ball coming. Any idea what it is?

Appears to be scotch broom

https://youtu.be/9XsPySG2vJk

They are still not finding much forage here, and there are empty combs which should be full.
Everything has been so early, and I see that there are fewer HB plants than usual due to the dry weather. I wonder how the rest of this strange year will pan out. But Lime is not far off flowering, and maybe the rain will help. Otherwise I will be feeding them before autumn!

They are still not finding much forage here, and there are empty combs which should be full.
Everything has been so early, and I see that there are fewer HB plants than usual due to the dry weather. I wonder how the rest of this strange year will pan out. But Lime is not far off flowering, and maybe the rain will help. Otherwise I will be feeding them before autumn!

Same here Viridens, in north Dorset. I've noticed a lot of brambles appear to be flowerless in my patch. Odd bushes are about to flower but the majority don't seem to be coming into bud. I think the heat and drought has affected them. I'm in an arable landscape and pretty much depend on bramble for a good Summer flow. It don't bode well!!

Mine are on the brambles. Had a good drop of rain yday, so hopefully we are off again.

Limited rain here (Warwickshire Worcestershire border)in the last 4-5 days and cool weather means no summer flow yet. Brambles open but only bumbles interested. Masses of clover but too dry, lime opening but think again it's too dry and cool.
Saw a bumble bee yesterday foraging around the aphids at the growing tip of a cherry tree.

Latest posts

Back