Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Lizbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
North west Kent - Mine are all over the Asters and the Sedums. Ivy not quite in flower yet. Cosmos and Japanese Anenomes popular as well I'm watching our enormous eucalyptus with interest - last year it bloomed twice, once in April and once in November and the whole tree hummed like an engine. So far this year nothing, but it is looking as if it might be gearing up in readiness.

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
North west Kent - Mine are all over the Asters and the Sedums. Ivy not quite in flower yet. Cosmos and Japanese Anenomes popular as well I'm watching our enormous eucalyptus with interest - last year it bloomed twice, once in April and once in November and the whole tree hummed like an engine. So far this year nothing, but it is looking as if it might be gearing up in readiness.
Some of our spring honey last year was eucalyptus and Holly.
Eucalyptus are very Hardy trees and grow even at 450 metres

CarolW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives

CarolW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Any idea what this monster is? Growing on our scrapheap, where the remains of the pet hamster's food is thrown. No bee interest noticed but I haven't visited it on a sunny afternoon yet. IMG_0208.JPG seen it in the afternoon yet.

Amari 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Any idea what this monster is? Growing on our scrapheap, where the remains of the pet hamster's food is thrown. No bee interest noticed but I haven't visited it on a sunny afternoon yet. View attachment 28502 seen it in the afternoon yet.
Almost certainly the start of a Jack and the Beanstalk phenomenon.....

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Any idea what this monster is? Growing on our scrapheap, where the remains of the pet hamster's food is thrown. No bee interest noticed but I haven't visited it on a sunny afternoon yet. View attachment 28502 seen it in the afternoon yet.
Amaranthus? Giant purple?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Any idea what this monster is? Growing on our scrapheap, where the remains of the pet hamster's food is thrown. No bee interest noticed but I haven't visited it on a sunny afternoon yet. seen it in the afternoon yet.
Strange as I have quite a few (but no flowers as yet) similat plants spring up on the area where I dump my grass cuttings and chicken shed clearings. I had assumed it was part of the commercial wildflower (shaded area) mix I'd scattered around there last year as it's in the middle of the teazels and what have you.

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
On an overnight trip to Yorkshire, Nottingham area of M1 had a few good patches of what I think are Michelmas Daisy's.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ivy piling in
Raining and getting colder next week
Same every year 😂

Nannysbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Malvern autumn show today, chatting to one of the honey judges which was interesting.o didn't realise that the presentation was as important as the honey!!!!!

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Now up in the Dales, yesterday ivy buzzing with bees, various flies and wasps, one even trying to rob pollen from a bumble's legs! Weather currently turning though.

Amari 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Now up in the Dales, yesterday ivy buzzing with bees, various flies and wasps, one even trying to rob pollen from a bumble's legs! Weather currently turning though.
What sort of bees? Our ivy has a loud buzz and at a quick glance covered with honey bees but I guess they may be the relatively recent newcomer, ivy bees. I find it difficult to distinguish the two.

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
My hive in the garden has been ultra busy for the last couple of days and humming like a AC unit when I put the chickens to bed. Rich smell of ivy emanating from it!
They've obviously found some in bloom!