What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I am, the BBC forecast states “light rain” every day, through to the 3rd of April.

Where I am, the BBC forecast states “light rain” every day, through to the 3rd of April.

The Met Office are offering a forecast based on "new weather data".

Using the current data, they're predicting a dry night with a low chance of any precipitation before dawn here. Using the new data, there's a high chance of showers from 3am to dawn.

I think I'll just look out of the window :D

James

That's not good news ... bit further East than you but the weather patterns are the same just a few hours later usually.

Just about everything is coming into bud here - cherry tree starting to break, some bluebells are out, others on their way, celandines out in force, lilac trree in leaf and buds starting ... loads of pollen coming in today in the sun and all colonies very busy ... my overwintered Nuc looks stuffed with bees but it's an 8 frame modified 14 x 12 Paynes Poly nuc so I'm going to leave it and see what the weather does - another couple of frames won't make a lot of difference and I'd like to see more nectat before transferring them. Keeping an eye on the Horse Chestnuts as they are the first big flow for me. There looks like some rape fields about a mile and a half away as the bee flies but I doubt my lazy little beggars will go that far, plenty of stuff much nearer .. I can live without rape honey to be honest.

Last edited:
The Met Office are offering a forecast based on "new weather data".

Using the current data, they're predicting a dry night with a low chance of any precipitation before dawn here. Using the new data, there's a high chance of showers from 3am to dawn.

I think I'll just look out of the window :D

James
Probably more accurate !

I have a damson tree in full flower that the bees work working hard today. Wouldn't surprise me if the weather didn't do for that over the next few days.

James
My damson is still in tight bud. Hopefully it might be ok.

I find it interesting how location affects the flowering times. Blackthorn in the fields next to the apiary are still in bud, with only the odd bush in full flower.
I have a viburnum and a quince in flower, lots of celandine (mainly in the lawn) and a couple of camellias, which I’m keeping an eye on. I’ve noticed a number of bees getting pollen from them.
Mostly, my bees are getting willow pollen and water. Lots of bees all round the house getting water from every conceivable nook and cranny. So far the dogs (and the wife) have not been stung. Once a nectar flow starts, I expect the need for water to diminish.

I find it interesting how location affects the flowering times. Blackthorn in the fields next to the apiary are still in bud, with only the odd bush in full flower.
I have a viburnum and a quince in flower, lots of celandine (mainly in the lawn) and a couple of camellias, which I’m keeping an eye on. I’ve noticed a number of bees getting pollen from them.
Mostly, my bees are getting willow pollen and water. Lots of bees all round the house getting water from every conceivable nook and cranny. So far the dogs (and the wife) have not been stung. Once a nectar flow starts, I expect the need for water to diminish.
Yes, in the old days the beekeepers here used to chase the blackberry flow up into the hills from sea level as the season progressed.

I,ve given up on the met office forecasts in this area since they got rid of the people who worked out of RAE Aberporth things have gone down hill.They now depend on what a computer says instead of just using common sense and local knowledge. It always gets me how often BBC England will give a different forcast to BBC Wales and they will both be wrong.

I,ve given up on the met office forecasts in this area since they got rid of the people who worked out of RAE Aberporth things have gone down hill.They now depend on what a computer says instead of just using common sense and local knowledge. It always gets me how often BBC England will give a different forcast to BBC Wales and they will both be wrong.
I’m very aware that when the MET forecast is 10% chance of rain, the dogs and me always get wet!🤨💦

Noted that Countryfile, yesterday, featured conservationists pollarding hazels. Just wondered if there had been any thought given to the catkins as a source of forage for bees. Maybe, it is correct to coppice before trees begin to spring into growth, but ...???
I have seen honey bees collecting hazel pollen but it flowers so early that it is usually too cold for flying. Coppicing is carried out usually as a woodland conservation management strategy.

Latest posts

Back