What's an eke?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Sorry to ask what is probably the obvious but what exactly is an eke? I see lots of references to it but can't find an explanation. I think I've got the general idea but just to be sure!

an eke is a spacer like a super but smaller. i use a super as an eke when using a contact feeder.

It's like a shallow super and is used to make space for a feeding or varroa treatment. Can also be used to make a hive body deeper so it takes larger frames.

Is also the sound made by a mouse when you stand on it.

An "eek" is Palare for "face" (as oft-used by Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick in "Round the Horne"):biggrinjester:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMSSseKCmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMSSseKCmM[/ame]

Last edited:
An eke is just a plain square or rectangle box section to suit your hive dimensions. Used to lift the roof up higher so you can put a feeder or forms of treatment in the hive.

Last edited:
piccy

Heres one
EkeNatMuLge.jpg

An "eek" is Palare for "face" (as oft-used by Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick in "Round the Horne"):biggrinjester:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMSSseKCmM

Polari was originally used as a secret way of communicating by travellers in 18th c and combines yiddish with latin, Romany and the romance languages. Also many subcultures including the gay community. Williams and Paddick were largely responsible for introducing it to the general public. It's Fantabulosa!! Naff is one word that has leaked from Polari in to common english usage.

The dictionary says 'to supply defficiencies of'.

Basically one would, in the old days, stretch out one's food supply so that it may last longer if one was short of supplies.

I used to, and still do, find that an on-line catalogue (for beekeeeping supplies) would often supply the answer in very short time, for the meaning in the beekeeping context.

The Th*rne catalogue is a fine example of a comprehensive collection of bee related information.

Hope this helps.

RAB

It can also be a 1" depth square 'frame' for a brood box to use when you are applying Apiguard, cannot it?? An eke is an extension of a depth, so size can alter...

The sound I used to make if anything buzzed near me lol, oh I'm so funny :D

Seriously, thanks for this thread. I thought that's what one was, just from reading posts and looking at peoples pics, but to be shown exactly is a big help.

The voice-over for the expletive uttered when you realise you need to buy or make one having bought 4.5 inch roofs instead of 6 inch....

Eek!!, I shall have to Eke it out ?
Nowt goes as far as it used to :)

John Wilkinson

Many thanks for all the responses, that's what I needed when I put the Apiguard in, I used an empty super.
Will make one quickly and exchange it.

Latest posts

Back