Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
firstly, my apologies for posting this here, it really belongs on the BBKA board, but as I've just been banned, I wondered what everyone here thought!

Come January, and the "shall we continue supporting the agrochemical companies?" meeting has been held by the BBKA, and as I fear, not only have they agreed to continue it, but to broaden it into becoming a "badging organisation" for them, I for one am going to be placed in a situation that is not of my making, that is rather annoying!

My little local (BBKA affiliated) association is a bunch of really nice, welcoming people, who far from being "sniffy" about the fact I mentioned I was thinking of top bar hives were very interested, and exhibited a "cor, can we come round and see?" attitude - I enjoy their company very much, and would very much like to continue as a member - however, this means paying fees through them to the BBKA, which is very much against my principles all the time the BBKA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bayer - your comments are welcome!

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I would join an independent forum that was working on offering an alternative to the BBKA.

A forum that values its members opinions more than those of the mod/Admin team.

A forum that offers free speach with a fun slant that does not put its financial ties with companies before its own members interests.

Thebeekeeping forum - Run by its members for its members.

I was alarmed to read below your final post on the BBKA forum that Roger Patterson says "There are other fora that are unmoderated and will presumably tolerate bad behaviour, but we won't"

I do hope that he is not talking about this forum,because although we feel we dont need moderators to moderate our members it in no way means we will tolerate abuse!

I think he may of been talking about other forums because although we dont have mods the forum is moderated by myself and every other member,(I think its called a democracy )?

Do members want Moderators on this forum ?
If they do then should the members choose who is selected ?

Does anyone think I should reword or remove any of the above ?

Your comments would be most welcome.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Brosville,
the answer to your question. If the vote at the ADM goes against your personal wishes, first check out how your own delegate voted. If he/she reflects your views and of your association, then why would you want to leave? Much better to stick around and start a debate on whether your local BKA should remain affiliated to BBKA.
Now let me bowl you a bouncer... What do you do if your delegate votes to keep endorsements, but the vote is lost and endorsements are abandoned as many of us are hoping? It's a rhetorical question, no need to answer. My point is just that the BBKA is in reality nothing but the sum of it's member organizations. Get things sorted out locally. Otherwise it's totally pointless criticising the BBKA.

jean 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Hi Bros. Just read your post. So you're banned. Wonder why ? For wishing a happy Christmas to somebody who is imaginary ? It's a shame, but you've been around long enough to know what your doing. As for your question, sometimes you MUST compromise. You want to learn beekeeping , right ? Then go to your local assoc. and learn it. Afterwards you can consider the rest. And how you can do your little bit to change it. Regards and thanks for the laughs
Chris

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Chris, you raise valid points - should a delegate not reflect the wishes of the majority, then he should be out on his ear'ole!
I must admit that I am loath to leave the local association - to my mind they are what a British beekeepers association should be - for everyone! There are already rumblings (totally unprompted) from the members that they are heartily fed up with the BBKA, quite apart from the Bayer thing, purely down to "greed" and an ever-extended arm demanding even more funds (like the recent "we've changed accountancy periods, cough up another 6 months dues - pronto!"), so I'll probably see what can be done from "that end".

As for the "bad behaviour" thing, I'm very happy to have a good debate, and usually manage to stay polite, however, there does come a time when you are faced with someone so deeply noxious that you have to say something as their comments are allowed unmoderated - as I said, I used one biblical quote, and a few words about "arrogant, pig-ignorant colonials", which under the circumstances I felt was measured and appropriate........:)

Somehow I don't see me having that problem here or on the "Biobees" site - mainly because I expect that a poster who dared to spout so objectionably as the one I remonstrated with would rapidly disappear under a scrum of enraged forum members - they're all too cowed, and fearful for their membership on the BBKA site (or sucking up to become moderators)

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I understand that the usa member is already banned from a couple of the large usa beekeeping forums so came to the BBKA forum looking for a fight.

One thing that forced me to start this forum was because on the BBKA you never get a 2 sided thread.

The minute you attack Bayer you are a marked member,as soon as you step out of line you will be banned,often by being drawn out by a few members who wish to be next in line on the Mod rota.

Brosville I think you were out of order at times,but then again thats not the real reason you got banned as we all know.

What has suprised me is the amount of members on the BBKA forum who defend each other due to having a financial interest in getting new members to join up and attend study days while buying THEIR Nucs rather than buying from a bee farmer.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Yes I agree with all you have to say about this Admin.

Last edited:

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
My 5p's worth!

Admin, In such a short time this site has developed (in my view) to be above the BBKA site. And as the session starts up things will only get better!

In reply to your questions.

1 Does anyone think I should reword or remove any of the above ?

I think you should remove / re-word the following;-

"Does Roger think we are some kind of internet Dodge city ?
Can anyone enlighten me on why Roger should feel the need to take a swipe at other beekeeping forums ?
Can a forum not be run with a smile on your face and with a friendly slant without moderation ?"

Lets not sink to the LOW levels of Roger, as demonstrated recently on the BBKA site.

2 Do members want Moderators on this forum ?

I would say no, not at this stage. We can all jump in when we want and tell someone to take a chill pill, etc . Hence my post telling you Admin to "take a chill pill and reconsider some of your words"

The other problem on the BBKA site is 2 or 3 notable members who are clearly "baiting" members, to lead to bans.

I will not name names, but I reads your posts on the BBKA site, and I know one of you is on this forum.

I could post much more personal "digs" at Roger, but again I will not sink that low.

To Brosiville

I am surprised you lasted that long on the BBKA site, I think you thought you might have been banned from your first post ;-)

You have strong views, but has often been said, please review your situation when you have bees.

And I am in know way suggesting, you use every BAYER product going, or burn your nationals. Because I use nationals and manage them in a very green and eco way.

Brosville, I personally would wish you to post more now on this site (well you cant on the BBKA one LOL) , the TBH is your other option you use, but I would like to think this forum is open to more thoughts than the TBH site.

I would also wish that this thread does not become an anti BBKA / Kicking at Roger, because once again, let not sink that low.

Also Broville, you have said your bit now, so again do not use this site to get back at Roger/ The BBKA.

I think I have had a bit more than my 5p, so TTFN.

Jim

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks Jim,message received loud and clear,I think you are right,let others reply to Brosvilles post But then move onwards and upwards. :cheers2:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Thanks to everyone for their replies - to Jean - sorry about the broad sweeping generalisation, there were a few notable exceptions!:svengo:
I really didn't get interested in beekeeping to go round picking fights, I honestly am interested in keeping a few bees as a hobby, and to "do my bit" to help save honeybees from going the way of the dodo.
I'm hoping there is a way that I can stay a member of my local association if the BBKA carries on down chemical alley (pun!)
I have no bone to pick with the vast majority of beekeepers that I've met on the 'net and locally, and I certainly don't want to waste my time on the politics of a few power-crazed and biased people on one forum.
As for top bar hives........ they appeal to my "end of things", as some people know, I'm very much of the "natural if possible" view. I used to have a small free-range egg farm, and managed to keep stock with no synthetic chemical inputs whatsoever - if I can do the same with bees, I'll be very happy!:)

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks for your Reply Brosville, I know your heart is in beekeeping, hope you get some bees sorted for next year.

I really do question myself what the BBKA ( I am not refering to the forum) does for me / beekeeping, and on thinking about it NOTHING.

I also have to confess to have thoughts in the back of my head for a TBH, I thought I might have done one for this session, but will see what happens for next year.

But despite all my reading, and other beekeepers in the area, nationals lead. And for my 2009 plans, nationals can only be the way.

I think if I pick up a swarm, if I have built a TBH, it will go in that.

Jim

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As for top bar hives........ they appeal to my "end of things", as some people know, I'm very much of the "natural if possible" view. I used to have a small free-range egg farm, and managed to keep stock with no synthetic chemical inputs whatsoever - if I can do the same with bees, I'll be very happy!:)
Fragile planet do a very nice reclaimed pine(Staircases) National hive if you are looking at something standard,they can also supply you with 5 frames of bees to go in it.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
thanks - I'll have a look! I'm still very much at the "looking" stage, and get stuck into the "doing" bit after the interminable holiday period!:)

Wendy122 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Why don't you all move on on this forum thing.

This is this forum and not the other. You left the other forum to come here so leave your issues behind.

I am not saying you are not allowed to criticize the BBKA.

What I am saying is this forum is run this was and the other is run its way.

It is getting very boring people griping about the other forum. If you love it so much go back and leave here for those who wish to be here.

W

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Your post is an interesting one Wendy, i logged on for the first time after a little break, i had actually been thinking recently that all the politics, bickering and general stuffiness i have been exposed to after saying i would join my local association committee, along with reading about the BBKA has in fact tarnished my enthusiasm for this new hobby.

I have thought about leaving the association, not rejoining the BBKA, and to just spend time with my Bees.

Whilst i agree that Beekeeping and its history should be preserved, bodies and associations really should evolve.

(Not entirely sure if i have made any sense with the above, but hope you see what i am getting at.)

Wendy122 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
To many Dinosaurs I agree. Your post makes good sense.

I only post to share my knowledge with those who need it. It is from my experiences. I get very little new knowledge back . I just like to share what little I know from what I have actually seen.

Hence the last thing I want to read every day is forum politics. Especially from a different forum.

Mr Admin. Can I suggest a politics/moaning folder. (Please unsubscribe me from it) If you have gripes do it in there. The rest of us then don't stumble across it in every thread we read.

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
BROSVILL
I just don?t understand the mentality of some folk. Pesticide kills bee THAT?S IT END OF STORY.
As the bbka has said it can only be sorted out with a vote at the association. If you can convince the committee to vote against it. (The committee is the lap-dogs of the BBKA)
This is so important to every beekeeper in the land NOT TO PASS IT. We have already been shamed by other countries.

Don?t take any notice of the BBKA lapdogs telling you to drop it BANG THE BLOODY DRUM until they understand the seriousness.

There are beeks out there that don?t know what?s going on.
There are beeks that don?t care ?I?m all right jack?
There are beeks that do understand and are passionately against it.
There are the wimps that don?t want to upset the committee.
It makes me wonder, the real reason of closing down the old BBKA forum?
There was a lot of material on there against the BBKA debate on pesticide
Brosvill you carry on mate the worm will turn.
All the best mike

Latest posts