Quantcast

What would you do? Opinions please.

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Cazza 

Queen Bee
Joined
Feb 28, 2010
Messages
2,519
Reaction score
0
Location
Suffolk/Norfolk border
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 ish
Hi all
I have an unwanted colony which was a caste collected on 3rd June. My plan was to combine it with another so the idea today was to cull the queen and then combine later this evening.

When last inspected things were chugging along (5 frames brood), nothing very impressive, hence the decision to cull and keep better queens.

This afternoon despite looking twice, (I'm usually good at spotting queens) no queen to be seen, no eggs, no larvae and 3 supercedure cells, capped.

Would you assume queen is deceased and combine or wait a few days and check again?

Ta in advance for your thoughts.

Cazza
 

tidymeup 

House Bee
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
385
Reaction score
2
Location
Cheshire
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
120
I would make sure you didn't have a queen for sure before combining otherwise you could very well loose both.
 

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
13,655
Reaction score
3
Location
Scottish Borders
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Remove cells: add test frame and check in three days. No overall loss and time spent in double checking will pay off.

PH
 

Cazza 

Queen Bee
Joined
Feb 28, 2010
Messages
2,519
Reaction score
0
Location
Suffolk/Norfolk border
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 ish
Remove cells: add test frame and check in three days. No overall loss and time spent in double checking will pay off.

PH
That's exactly what I've done but then I thought, if they raise QC's, couldn't it just be that the queen is still there but ropey and they want to supercede her?
C
 

Latest posts

Top