What / when varoa treatment August to March inclusive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
My mind is wandering to varoa treatment...... Can I ask what people do as a treatment regime and when from now through to Spring 2022?

I have the tools for OX vaping my hives, however, not sure if I should stick just with that or do two different treatments. And for the Ox vape, also not sure on the quantity of Ox vape to use for a 10 frame hive or a 6 frame nuc.

Thanks in advance.

2 grams per colony whether 6 or 10 frames won't do harm.
OA efficacy has been proven and administering is simple without the need to disturb the colony.
No withdrawal date or resistance. to it.

2 grams per colony whether 6 or 10 frames won't do harm.
OA efficacy has been proven and administering is simple without the need to disturb the colony.
No withdrawal date or resistance. to it.
Perfect thanks. And does three doses 5 days apart + 1 dose in December sound right?

Perfect thanks. And does three doses 5 days apart + 1 dose in December sound right?
If your drops are high still add a fourth dose
For me it is ALWAYS worth checking the load a month after treatment ends (another vape)
I had one colony which dropped nearly 8K mites due, I presume, to reinfestation from a collapsing colony

Generally yes it is the technique most use and follow, after the third application if mite drop is still high then give another. In the past I have found that once mite drop is <20 then I stop application, I have given a fourth, fifth and once a sixth application and still found mites not lessening so decided as long <20 then stop. Sometimes a fourth is needed.
One won't eradicate 100% and during mild Autumns into Winter as Dani mentioned re -infestation could possibly occur with robbing out another colony or even absconding bees joining your colony.

A one off late year application before Xmas day mops up more mites when most will be brood less or have little brood.

Some of the 2% of OA product will be lost if application is under an OMF. I use a 15mm copper end cap as my measure and it holds 1.6 grams of product when weighed out.

Last edited:
Some of the 2% of OA product will be lost if application is under an OMF. I use a 15mm copper end cap as my measure and it holds 1.6 grams of product when weighed out.
Thanks for that - very useful. Can I ask what test / kit do you use for mite testing? And excuse my ignorance...what's an OMF?

I don't test I just treat August and early December.
August - vary treatment. from year to year.
December sublimated OA - one dose.

Designed to minimise my workload, less disturbance to bees
Lessen chances of varroa resistance to treatment.

Lazy person's approach
My varroa counts - when I can be bothered - are minimal.

There is some evidence that the broodless period occurs earlier than Xmas/new year. Late November is when I do my winter OA vape.

Thanks for that - very useful. Can I ask what test / kit do you use for mite testing? And excuse my ignorance...what's an OMF?

During the year Spring/summer I will check colonies with a sugar roll maybe 3 or 4 times to gauge any infestation, so far this year I was finding <1%. I use the varroa tester by Lyson sold at Abelo for £15.

There is some evidence that the broodless period occurs earlier than Xmas/new year. Late November is when I do my winter OA vape.

Just to reiterate this as many people talk about a Christmas or even New Year treatment at which point could be too late; this article is worth a read: Weather to treat - The Apiarist but basically try and observe a prolonged cold snap and when the temperatures recover to about 8 to 10 degrees give them a treatment as that's when the cluster should be loose and hopefully broodless.

Latest posts

Back