What type of cell is this?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I've never seen a cell quite like this before. It's in a colony that has a newly emerged supersedure queen. To me it looks like a "dreen" cell :)
Ordinary capped drone and worker cells can be seen near it. It looks like I dented the top of it taking it out...but please ignore that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Looks like a drone to me with a bit of a bulbous capping. Have a close look though because they can be sneaky gits when slipping in queen cells although I don’t think that’s 1

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Looks like a drone to me with a bit of a bulbous capping. Have a close look though because they can be sneaky gits when slipping in queen cells although I don’t think that’s 1
Thanks Ian. I will open it up tomorrow to see what it is (just in case).

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
It was a queen cell by the looks of it. The first photo shows the larva removed from the cell and now lying next to it ...it was lying on its side and occupying the bulb of the cell. The other photo shows the royal jelly in the cell. The cell was actually quite deep.

Attachments

oxnatbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Having some difficulty seeing the pictures on this device, but looks like you have drone cells on worker foundation? Implying a failing queen or drone laying workers.

I examined a deadout recently where the workers had instinctively made a queen cell round a drone as that was all they had to work with.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Having some difficulty seeing the pictures on this device, but looks like you have drone cells on worker foundation? Implying a failing queen or drone laying workers.

I examined a deadout recently where the workers had instinctively made a queen cell round a drone as that was all they had to work with.
Spot on oxnatbees 👍 Failing queen.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Just don’t go relying on any of those Qcells.

Latest posts