what tools in your beekit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeatshellards

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
5 plus more when they come along
just wondered what strange tools people have found useful to have in their kit. mine is a cheap fishing net for catching bees to identify them where I cant reach.bee-smillie

Beekeeper friend in Croydon, when I lived near there has a large water pistol........

used to squirt off poxy yappie terrier doggy thing belonging to next door neighbor that would charge under the fence with teeth bared every time he went to see to his bees... but only when he was in veil etc !

Occasionally I would get to man the gun... why he did not block up the fence beats me!

i have a brill tool, not a personal one, but it is an old, very heavy duty hacksaw blade, about 5mm thick and 20mm deep, great for cleaning out the grove in those frames you need to clean and prep when replacing foundation, i just use it as a saw blade cleans out the grove perfect, just in the corner where the leg joins the top bar to clear with a screwdriver.

Beekeeper friend in Croydon, when I lived near there has a large water pistol........

used to squirt off poxy yappie terrier doggy thing belonging to next door neighbor that would charge under the fence with teeth bared every time he went to see to his bees... but only when he was in veil etc !

Occasionally I would get to man the gun... why he did not block up the fence beats me!

The same reason the fox hasn't been wiped out in this country - more sporting!!

just wondered what strange tools people have found useful to have in their kit. mine is a cheap fishing net for catching bees to identify them where I cant reach.bee-smillie

Two tea towels with wire from a coat hanger threaded through one end to use as emergency cover cloths if the bees are a bit lively.

Don't know if it quite qualifies as a tool ...

... but I do find it helpful to carry with me a hip flask containing a mixture of gin and quinine water ...

.. purely as an aid to reflection should I come across behaviour at the hive (the bees' not that of the current Lady DD) that I do not fully understand.

Chain saw. They are expanding so fast, I keep having to make more room for them, ie cutting back more trees. We need the fire wood anyway...

Brian

... but I do find it helpful to carry with me a hip flask containing a mixture of gin and quinine water ...

.. purely as an aid to reflection should I come across behaviour at the hive (the bees' not that of the current Lady DD) that I do not fully understand.

:iagree:
i prefer mine steeped with sloes for 11 months and matured in the dark for at least eight years - very good for regaining your land legs after a fortnight at sea (also clears a tickly cough) ahem!:D

OT. You've stated this before, do you change the LDD's as frequently as your other queens or do they swarm/ abscond ? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back