what to spend my christmas money on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ok so I need to splash some cash, homemade honey extractor was ok for few frames last year, but I have had some money for christmas and not sure which option to go for.

I spotted an extractor on ebay but it is now very close to the new price of the basics from thornes.

But if I am going to thornes would I be better off getting the next one up which is about £140?? Any one got any better ideas (that i can afford!)??

Opinions appreciated

Get the best you can afford. If you are going to extract only super frames, then a radial is much less effort! Though I would dearly love a motorised one, I think that my manual one will keep me going for as long as I have only three or four hives (and let the little b***s swarm!).

PM sent.

yes I agree with the "wait" advice. Thxxxxs especially do deals on this specific item and I bought a cracker at the local Thxxxxs sale. I personally would not touch an ebay extractor as you could buy a right pup. Even if sound mechanically, the bodies are damage magnets and unless you can bid, win, collect locally, will pick up more damage when you ship it? Also, as you have seen, ebay seems to attact punters with loads more dosh than brains. Rarely are there the killer bargains to be had any more.

If you are setting out, try to decide how many hives you intend to grow to (yeah I know a silly question but remember it can grow?)

The message being that a four frame mechanical will be a bit of a trail if you ramp it up to 10 colonies. You also need to look at the specs B4 you visit the sales. Don't spash out on the okey cokey 2000 (yes I am that age) only to discover it won't fit in the car or worst still - the shed door??

Best of luck but the advice is sit and think a bit??

Regards

FB

Many thanks, folks, Colony wise I am only going to have 2 hives! (well that was the plan) but yes I already have 4 plus one i look after! For me the restriction is finance I can see myself creeping towards 10 in the future but hopefully not for a couple of years. This years increase was an experience as it was only my second year and I didnt have a clue what a full box of bees could be like and the time it took to do the job properly!

I was obviously under the wrong impression that the extractors would be more expensive when it came into season, thought now would be cheeper

So I will go with your advice folks and put the cash into the CC until later in the year when I can spend it again!

I think you have answered your own question. Save your cash as it sounds as though you are on your way to ten hives all ready. Then buy an extractor suitable for the amount of hives you have. I started like you but ended up buying a few different extractors. I was lucky in that I managed to make some money and sold them for more than I paid. I now have an electric one.

Latest posts

Back