What to look for in an out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I realise that I need to sort a site for an out apiary, something that lockdown has prevented me from doing. Currently the bees are in my garden, but should anything go wrong or I wish to expand I will need an alternative site.

What should I be considering? I have a few ideas eg. forage, aspect, accessibility, security, but any other suggestions welcome.

With regards to rent etc, what is the norm?

Many thanks

I got approached to put hives on a couple of sites, these sites were allotments, it may be worth making contact with any local allotment site to see if they have bees already and if not, would they like some.

Cost wise, one site charges me £10 a year (which I couldn't be bothered to argue about despite them asking me to go to the site) the other is free. I also intend to give the main contacts on each site a jar or two of honey when I extract.

A lot depends on your general location unless you are prepared to travel significant distances. I would steer clear of allotments as a general rule, although I know it works for some.
General advice I plagiarised from the web -
In the UK there are no nationally ratified laws that restrict or promote the keeping of bees. The Environment Protection Act 1990 however says that beekeepers have a duty of care to ensure that they and their bees do not cause a nuisance or spoil other people’s enjoyment of the environment.
An area of land suitable for siting an apiary - at the edge of a field, in a copse, an orchard or large garden ideally protected from strong winds with easy access for a vehicle, away from public footpaths and with a water supply close by e.g. pond or stream, is perfect.
Traditionally farmers, landowners and beekeepers have shared a relationship built on good will. Bees bring increased pollination for crops, and hedgerows and woodland benefit from increased pollination providing more fruits for birds and mammals as do many nearby horticultural smallholdings and gardens.
You will need to fence off your apiary if on a farm from any 'resident' livestock.

Along with the considerations you've already mentioned, number one on your list is a friendly, understanding landlord.
Rent agreements are minor issues, there may be times where you are onsite late, bringing a swarm after closing them in or to close up a hive for moving, etc. In Summer, that could be 9:30 - 9:45pm.

Unrestricted vehicular access is key for me. I’m not carrying equipment to & from an out apiary, it can be trying at the best of times managing an out apiary without having to lug equipment - esp full supers.
Unrestricted to enable bees to be moved in & out during unsociable hours.
As for rent there have been previous threads however the traditional view point is a lb/hive/annum - I do think most will be a little more generous with a couple of different types of honey, makes for a good conversation starter.
A last but important point, out of the prevailing wind and ideally a warm sunny spot but not a frost pocket.

Paynes had a very good list on their website but I cant see it on there now...........

When I was looking for an apiary in a specific area I put a post on the local Facebook page. I had 5 offers within an hour and 20+ within 24 hours. I had some great locations offered to me and the people were very keen to host the hives.
Main criteria in my opinion would be
1 Good vehicular access
2 Out of hours access - for feeding and moving hives
3 Location away from a house - preferably edge of wood or corner of a field or orchard.

When I was looking for an apiary in a specific area I put a post on the local Facebook page. I had 5 offers within an hour and 20+ within 24 hours. I had some great locations offered to me and the people were very keen to host the hives.
Main criteria in my opinion would be
1 Good vehicular access
2 Out of hours access - for feeding and moving hives
3 Location away from a house - preferably edge of wood or corner of a field or orchard.
I've found most of my out apiarys in much the same way.. The farmers up here have been very supportive to and have given me access to quite a few fields that I'm able to just drive to using there quad or a 4x4.( my own).
I would suggest you approach the local land owners.
As to rent I don't pay anything but have given jars of honey as a good will gesture.

I've put some at my sister's property this year. It was a bit of a test to see how it went before I have a real 'out apiary'. There are things I would do differently but I can just tell my brother in law and we'll sort it in non-covid times. They get plenty of honey already and I can come and go as much as I want. Maybe see if you know anyone with a suitable property.

Just a quick cautionary tale about a friend of mine. She put a couple of hives on a patch of scrub land just off a farmyard. She inspected regularly until one time she went along and the hives were gone. It Seem's the farmer had found a use for the scrub land and had just moved the hives without asking or telling my friend in advance. Needless to say most of the bees were dead as they couldn't find their way home and my friend was not pleased.

So make sure you emphasise to anyone who may have contact with the hives or control over the land they're on that they must not be moved without your explicit say so.

So make sure you emphasise to anyone who may have contact with the hives or control over the land they're on that they must not be moved without your explicit say so.
Yes, from the out set, make sure it is very clear, preferably in writing, that the arrangement is your bees, their land.

Think that I have tentatively found a site for an out apiary. A local person has an orchard that they would like to offer to bee keepers. Need to make further investigations, but it looks promising.

Latest posts

Back