What to do with wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesley121

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys,

I have 7.5kgs if wax from my hives that has been cleaned up and solidified into one block. What’s my best option, should I sell it? Any idea what it’s worth? Or should I trade it in for wax foundation? I’ve never done this before but I’m in Cheshire so not sure if there’s somewhere near me that takes it in exchange

Whilst I’m here, I seen on ebay bs shallow wax foundation for £2.85 for 10 sheets, is it any good?

a number of the foundation suppliers will swap wax for finished foundation, so that might be of interest.
Otherwise there are often people in the market for wax, not sure of the value though.

Hi guys,

I have 7.5kgs if wax from my hives that has been cleaned up and solidified into one block. What’s my best option, should I sell it? Any idea what it’s worth? Or should I trade it in for wax foundation? I’ve never done this before but I’m in Cheshire so not sure if there’s somewhere near me that takes it in exchange

Whilst I’m here, I seen on ebay bs shallow wax foundation for £2.85 for 10 sheets, is it any good?

Thrones Masies etc have a weigh in for foundation or direct purchase at Spring Convention at Harper Adams... in the Car park so you do not even have to buy a rubber band... unless you want to see the exhibitors stands...

Be wary of cheap wax foundation.... buy from a reputable supplier who manufacture their own in the UK ( Nat B Supplies have a new unit... as do Ts and Ms....

I did buy some cheap foundation from E*****t... greasy, did not smell good.. from China I found out.. probably contaminated with microcrystalline wax and residues of chloramphenicol and the like... which worries me when I see all the fashonable beeswax wraps on sale... where is that " bees wax" from????

sorry :ot:

:calmdown:

Also some will let you pay wiring fee and you will get a better exchange rate so check it out. Years ago some of the suppliers had local agents, worth asking

Last edited:
I think I will stick to getting stuff like that from my association. I have no real knowledge if the stuff is of good quality. The supplies at the association are usually cheaper but even if I can find it cheaper elsewhere at least they are getting the reward.
So speaks of a one hive owner. multiples of 10's might change my mind. :)

eBay item number:
Got some real rave reviews.... get in quick before its all gone!!!
You need to read the small print sweetie....
It's quite expensive foundation seeing the price is for 10 pieces of 14 x10 cm foundation. Might be good for apideas....:)
But not nearly enough for a single frame.

eBay item number:

Its 10cm x 14cm pieces of wax!!!! Jeeeez

You need to read the small print sweetie....
It's quite expensive foundation seeing the price is for 10 pieces of 14 x10 cm foundation. Might be good for apideas....:)
But not nearly enough for a single frame.

I was being ironic!!!

Would't put that stuff any where near any of my stock!!!

eBay item number:

A word of caution: in case anyone is tempted, I would remind you of the case last year where foundation which was later found to have come from China (little/no control on the use of antibiotics/etc) was being sold in The Netherlands by the state beekeeping association. If memory serves me right, brood was dying inexplicably.

It might be good enough for rolled candles but probably not advisable to put it in beehives

Last edited:
A word of caution: in case anyone is tempted, I would remind you of the case last year where foundation which was later found to have come from China (little/no control on the use of antibiotics/etc) was being sold in The Netherlands by the state beekeeping association. If memory serves me right, brood was dying inexplicably.

It might be good enough for rolled candles but probably not advisable to put it in beehives

Yes it was... contaminated with microcrystalline waxes ( petrochemical industry derived paraffin waxes) and chloramphenicol and oxytetracyclane... two antibiotics I would not want to eat.... Buy British!

I am still not entirely sure about these beeswax wraps..... even thy smallest amount of contamination with chloramphenicol can cause haemolytic anemia.
Evil stuff... once used in Golden eye ointment!!!

What they pay is no guarantee that what they are buying is clean wax. Maybe I should offer them my pre varroa cakes?

PH

Latest posts

Back