What to do with honey in brood comb?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawny

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6, one in a TBH
I had a colony that did not overwinter successfully, yet have several frames of honey in brood frames and some where there is a mix of sealed honey and old brood comb. Just wondered what can be done with them bearing in mind that they would have been through the Autumn Winter treatments.

When they viewed in the March warm spell they were still going but only small numbers.. I guess that recent poor weather finished them off..

Any assistance is always welcome.

The treatments were Fumidil B in syrup and Apilifevar (Eucalyptus type smelling pad?) inSeptember / October, Plus treated with oxaylic at end of January.

Best advice ... keep it for feeding nucs
Finmann soaks his in water at ?38 degrees to remove sugars/honey and brews it into Rom and re~uses the comb

I would recommend you fumigate the frames with 80% ethanoic acid before using, unless you are sure you know why your colony failed. But that is your choice.

that's Acetic Acid for the layman

Or about 8 times more concentrated than pickling vinegar!

The treatments were Fumidil B in syrup

That kind of rules out some re-use because of the likelihood of it getting into honey that one day might be consumed. However, frames could be re-used if you are sensible, like frames to start off a nuc or frames to remain in the brood box after performing artificial swarm.

A spell in the freezer to kill wax moth might be an idea.

Brewed into Rom?? What is this?

Anyone know of good source for acetic acid? Searches seem to bring up lots of alternatives.
Allan

Latest posts

Back