What to Cover Feed holes with?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

What do people use to cover up the feed holes in crown boards?

Thanks

None of mine have them. All they do is let warmth out. Porters are a total waste of time in the first place and it's time the makers stopped making the holes. If the penny dropped they could sell them with the holes scribed for them who are desperate for them and save money at the same time.

PH

Most of mine have some mesh over, if they’ve been scraped off at any point the bees soon close the holes this time of year.

Card board, inspection board, mesh, poly carb from maisemore nucs, anything plasticy they stick down well.
I have used gaffa tape but they chew through that even if it's double sided same with strong cardboard, mesh they seal up

Most of mine have some mesh over, if they’ve been scraped off at any point the bees soon close the holes this time of year.
I have used mesh over the holes for more than 30 years plus an empty super above the crown board and then the roof. (Smith hives) Believe it or not most of my colonies won’t completely seal the mesh. They do have solid floors but the under side of the roofs tend to be quite wet by the springtime probably because of the damp air rising. I’m trying out some quilts for the first time this year and I have my new Abelo poly hives to compare with. I’m in a bit of a dilemma wether to have the roof right on top or leave an empty super in between because the quilts are quite thin.

Labels from champagne bottles.
Failing that, wooden cigar box lids. - (Cuban of course)

Anything that covers the hole.

6mm ply off cuts and the bees glue them down themselves

Ceramic tiles, Bees propolis them so well I don't have to move them when leaning crown board on its side during inspection, except when it's super hot.

Latest posts

Back