What swarm prevention methods this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry756

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

As there are various methods I thought I would see what people are doing this year. Are you either sticking with their trusty method from last year, or are you going to try something different this year.

I am gearing up for Artificial Swarm, but would love to hear others views and plans.

Thanks

Clipped wing and AS. And catching swarm from trees. Like during 30 years.

It is important that you give foundations to the As.
Hive inspection 7 day interval. (flexibity to rain days)

Last edited:
Artificial swarm equals swarm control not prevention.
I use demaree method to hold off swarm preparations until I have my mated queens available (this is usually end of May). I then requeen any colony that shows any sign of wanting to swarm. However one (sometimes two colonies) out of my 25+ colonies still manage to issue a swarm despite all this effort.

I'm going to have a go at the Snelgrove method using his board with top and bottom doors. It is supposed to be less disruptive to the bees and does not reduce honey production very much. It needs less in the way of equipment - no extra floor and roof needed - and as I only have two hives, I can give the little bit of extra time needed to open and close doors at the right time. It can be used to make increase if that is what is needed.

I tried Artificial Swarm last year for the first time but it went drastically wrong with swarms and casts disappearing with monotonous regularity - I suspect I did not check for queen swarm cells well enough and after the first swarm, things seemed to get away from me in both the artificial swarm colony and on the parent colony.

CVB

Snelgrove had two basic methods .
Method 1 is essentially a modified Demaree with a multi-entranced split board but done before the bees have constructed any queen cells .
He advocated method 2 if the colony had started queen cells.

Most people actually use method 1 but only after queen cells have been started (ie basically an AS with a vertical split) and then find things don't go to plan and the bees swarm anyway.

I'm not keen on pre-emptive swarm control as I'm not happy having then to look out for a large colony swarming late in the year.
I have always performed a Pagden Artificial swarm on finding queen cells but this year on some colonies I will try The modified Snelgove 11 that Wally Shaw talks about, but not using a split board.

This year I'll be mainly using the Demaree method for simply swarm control.
I like its simplicity and tidiness in a small space.

For making an increase - I need a couple of new colonies - I'll be using the traditional A/S.

However, I'd like to hear about swarm control by queen replacement, from more experienced beeks. I've a couple of colonies which need requeening - one colony that's too feisty, one queen that's not very prolific.

Dusty

Preventivive swarm control is very difficult compared to swarming fever cut.

First you should get non swarming beestock. It is very difficult to keep on and inpossble if you have only few hives.

To split hives before they make make queen cells, that destroyes hives' foraging capacity.

I used horsley board as an experiment but the hive got high and heavy very quickly.
I'll be using pagden method again as the main tool.

I am with Finman on this

First you should get non swarming beestock

Clip queens and inspect on 7 day intervals

Yeghes da

I am with Finman on this

First you should get non swarming beestock

Clip queens and inspect on 7 day intervals

Yeghes da

Don't all bees swarm?

Is that every 7 days throughout the season?

We have had great sucess with the modified snelgrove method as used by our, just down the road expert, Wally also.

We do use a lot of manipulation boards to prevent swarming rather than keep split, split, splitting every year but that does come with its own problems as over the years we have built and collected enough national side manipulation boards to fill a 6ft x 6 ft shed when lay flat, with just enough space to close the open inward door.

I am going to use the same method as last year.....I have already whispered to my ladies.....

Don't all bees swarm?

Is that every 7 days throughout the season?

Most all bees swarm sometime... however I did read somewhere of a beekeeper having stock that just did not swarm, which was a bit of a problem!

I endevour not to breed from swarm colonies, and by inspecting on a 7 day cycle can spot any likelyhood for the colony preparing to swarm... the signs to look for are all covered in many books on the subject.

Clipping the queens wing will not prevent her from swarming, but may prevent the loss of bees from a strong honey producing colony.

In the swarm season... that can be at different times in different parts of the country... 7 day inspections ( up to 9 so you have a bit of leeway)
On brood and half, inspection need not take half an hour... one quick look should be enough!

Giving the colony enough room for controlled expansion helps... as it seems does crossing ones fingers!!

Yeghes da

The problem with the Horsley board is the bottom colony cannot be inspected whilst waiting for the queen to come into lay in the top box. Also the top box is over flowing by the time she starts laying. However I use this to re queen and take a split off the top as well.

SWARM PREVENTION. double brood boxes.. plenty of supers . Young queens

THEN when it has all failed SWARM CONTROL.

A.S or may try a demaree. Make up nucs and requeen with appropriate stock.

Latest posts

Back