What sugar/water ratio is Belgosuc syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Suffolk BKA purchase Belgosuc syrup in bulk for autumn feeding and yesterday we collected a supply for our West Suffolk BKA apiary. I asked the coordinator what its sugar/water ratio is - being accustomed to a 2:1 ratio for autumn feeding. His reply:

"The syrup is virtually pure sugar and designed for winter feed.
COMPOSITION
Avg. Unit Method Result
Fructose 35 w%w
Dextrose 32 w%w
Maltose < 4.0 w%w
Sucrose 31 w%w"

Surely these sugars are dissolved in water? I couldn't get an answer from the Belgosuc website:
https://www.belgosuc.be/en/beefeed-its-purest-form
My interest is provoked by a recent U-Tube video by Bob Binnie who provides evidence that early autumn feeding should be stimulatory by using syrup weaker than 1:1 !

Can any of the many Forum pundits advise what the Belgosuc sugar:water ratio is?

I want to say 72% sugars………….can’t find anything to substantiate this though. As for ‘Bobs’ top tips you should know better than to go surfing at your age.
I haven’t looked at Bobs tips but I’m guessing stimulatory feeding is to boost numbers. The syrup is for stores not boosting numbers. High sugar content ensures it doesn’t go off & the mix of sugars ensures no crystallisation.
As always no right or wrong way just a million different ways………

Suffolk BKA purchase Belgosuc syrup in bulk for autumn feeding and yesterday we collected a supply for our West Suffolk BKA apiary. I asked the coordinator what its sugar/water ratio is - being accustomed to a 2:1 ratio for autumn feeding. His reply:

COMPOSITION
Avg. Unit Method Result
Fructose 35 w%w
Dextrose 32 w%w
Maltose < 4.0 w%w
Sucrose 31 w%w"

Surely these sugars are dissolved in water? I couldn't get an answer from the Belgosuc website:
My interest is provoked by a recent U-Tube video by Bob Binnie who provides evidence that early autumn feeding should be stimulatory by using syrup weaker than 1:1 !

Can any of the many Forum pundits advise what the Belgosuc sugar:water ratio is?

That was great (video). Thanks for posting.

COMPOSITION
Avg. Unit Method Result
Fructose 35 w%w
Dextrose 32 w%w
Maltose < 4.0 w%w
Sucrose 31 w%w"

In case you didn't get this far Amari, have a listen at 15:15 onwards in this "2nd part of his talk" video.

"The syrup is virtually pure sugar and designed for winter feed
he's talking rubbish, just checked the label on the palletful I have in the drive:
71.4% sugars, 27% 'moisture' don't ask me what the other 1.6% is, didn't have my glasses on

he's talking rubbish, just checked the label on the palletful I have in the drive:
71.4% sugars, 27% 'moisture' don't ask me what the other 1.6% is, didn't have my glasses on
To be fair not quite rubbish, maybe just misunderstood.

I’ve just routed out an old syrup authentication advice note & yes, 71-72% sugars, so 28-29% water - Amari this answers your query. The breakdown you got from David was the proportions of the type of sugars.

To be fair not quite rubbish, maybe just misunderstood.

I’ve just routed out an old syrup authentication advice note & yes, 71-72% sugars, so 28-29% water - Amari this answers your query. The breakdown you got from David was the proportions of the type of sugars.

Many thanks both

Paul, the organiser of the bulk purchase has now come back and reports that the concentration of the Invertbee is 1.37kg/l. By some tortuous 11+ arithmetic I make that 2 lbs sugars/1.1 pints water = close to the original 2:1 recipe.
If I understand Bob Binnie correctly he quotes research that suggests that you get more brood ready for winter by using a weaker mix that 1:1. I've not watched Part 2 yet - Post 4 above.
In case you didn't get this far Amari, have a listen at 15:15 onwards in this "2nd part of his talk" video.

Paul, the organiser of the bulk purchase has now come back and reports that the concentration of the Invertbee is 1.37kg/l. By some tortuous 11+ arithmetic I make that 2 lbs sugars/1.1 pints water = close to the original 2:1 recipe
However, the actual the label on the Belgosuc can says 72% sugar - that's not 2:1

My brain does not function after a glass of wine listening to the 6 o'clock news. 72% sugar is weight while 27% 'moisture' is presumably volume. I don't think you can compare the two % as a ratio.
While 1 litre water weighs 1kg, 1 litre honey weighs 1.45 kg.

Please step forward a scientist/mathematician, maybe Dani?

".......reports that the concentration of the Invertbee is 1.37kg/l." That's weight/volume. I may have made a mistake in my arithmetic but I reckon that is 2lb sugar to 1.1 pints water as post 7. As we know, the original meaning of 2:1 was 2 lbs sugar/1 pint water.

I studied biological sciences at senior school and Uni but I'm grateful for the privilege of learning basic arithmetic in God's own county - that we both share, JBM ........

Last edited:
".......reports that the concentration of the Invertbee is 1.37kg/l." That's weight/volume. I may have made a mistake in my arithmetic but I reckon that is 2lb sugar to 1.1 pints water as post 7. As we know, the original meaning of 2:1 was 2 lbs sugar/1 pint water.
I've just read to you what it printed on the container - not some opinion as to the weight/volume ratio. 72% sugars 28% water. No mixing and matching of SI units

Put some in a honey refractometer and see what the brix is.
2:1 is about 60-65% depends on the recipe old money or new.
Best I can get syrup to in the tank at about 60c is 64-65% before it is a saturated solution. 64 brix seems fine and doesn't leave solid sugar in the feeders.

Back