What sort of hive is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Hi everyone, what sort of hive is this???
It is the three on the right.

Michael

Thanks for the quick reply, Im quite a good woodworker so if I made a few of these could I use these like a normal hive like a national or WBC ???

They could also be standard size nuc with another brood on top I have seen some like this.

These are ok for temporarily housing a nucleus colony as it grows, but will require moving to a full size Brood box sooner or later.

They could also be standard size nuc with another brood on top I have seen some like this.

You could be right veg, there looks like a join halfway up. I`ve not seen them like that before. I learn something new every day. :cheers2:

Darren.

The ones I have seen are used with 10 standard brood frames.

They look pretty damaged to me

I would agree they are double brood nucs but at a guess I would say bait hives.
The left side nuc looks like it has a hole in it from a wood pecker maybe?

Are they yours Michaelf?

If so be sure to use a blow lamp on them before you put a colony any where near them.

No I don't have any bee hives yet, these are some that I saw and wondered if I could make something like this to start bee keeping.

Michael

I agree with Hive Maker. It is a double brood nuc. I know some body who uses them and claims that Nucs expand faster this way than putting in a full hive.

My local association used these for beginners nucs. If the nuc was overflowing before the beginner had bought/assembled their hive, then the nuc could be expanded temporarily, without the association having to buy extra hives for temporary housing.

Latest posts

Back