What should I have done?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NBU starvation alerts are pumped out with monotonous regularity so most Beekeepers stopped taking notice of them
I tend to decide whether they need feeding or not by observation and hefting rather than waiting for permission from the NBU

And odds on the feed your little girlies too with nasty sugar!
Certainly not - only the best for mine - organic non GM oat milk or, as a treat almond milk
I wonder why they call it almond milk rather than Nut Juice? :unsure:

Certainly not - only the best for mine - organic non GM oat milk or, as a treat almond milk
I once knew a stilt walking fire juggling clown called " Milking de Public "
His finale was to set his hair on fire........

Chons da

OR perhaps the bees could have starved to death overwinter?
NBU put out a starvation alert in the beginning of January as many beekeepers found that the season had given such a small surplus it was not worth their while going to all the bother of extracting... so left it to the bees thinking that it would get them through the winter.....
Two calls today.... can I reserve a nuc of bees for Spring as I have "lost" mine!!!!

CF... our chickens have not given us any eggs for a while as generally they go off lay overwinter..... however they would die if stopped feeding them !
Why would they starve? I leave them 20kg of their own honey in autumn and monitor the stores remaining throughout the winter by accurate weighing. NBU warnings are irrelevant.
I do all my emergency feeding in autumn.

Why would they starve? I leave them 20kg of their own honey in autumn and monitor the stores remaining throughout the winter by accurate weighing. NBU warnings are irrelevant.
I do all my emergency feeding in autumn.
Point, presumably missed, was that many of the colonies had very little in the way of stores going into Autumn... so little it was not worth extracting!

Why would they starve?
Read the whole post - the reason was set out in it
many beekeepers found that the season had given such a small surplus it was not worth their while going to all the bother of extracting... so left it to the bees thinking that it would get them through the winter.....

NBU starvation alerts are pumped out with monotonous regularity so most Beekeepers stopped taking notice of them
Another case of 'it's the XX th January - time to send the usual out'. Mindless beekeeping ... gulped up by unthinking beekeepers ...

I keep getting mental images of almonds with milking machines attached chewing contentedly on sweet haylage as they are undergoing milking on a carousel.🤔

Last edited:
One of my ( and my Grandparents) favorite Hymns......

Diolch
Chons da

Mine too :Wales_flag: I was 'stolen' out of Wales at age 5 (for stolen read 'Dad had to move to England looking for work in 1959' and I couldn't get back to my own land until I was in my own long trousers (and married ;)). Nothing to do with Nationalism but Hiraeth and the 22 years I lived in the Cotswolds (okay, so it wasn't that bad) I pricked up my ears at every Welsh accent and song - Bread of Heaven brought tears to my eyes then and - to be honest - still does! As always I was here trawling for the great info and wisdom that lays scattered like coins in the green grass (and for the many smile-making comments) but this forum gives soooo much more besides. Thanks everyone. PS - my visit today was regarding when to super two single BB colonies and when to move two strong nucs into their own BBs - my visits here - - in the words of Dylan Thomas 'Under Milk Wood' - - Very enjoyable :nature-smiley-016:

Mine too :Wales_flag: I was 'stolen' out of Wales at age 5 (for stolen read 'Dad had to move to England looking for work in 1959' and I couldn't get back to my own land until I was in my own long trousers (and married ;)). Nothing to do with Nationalism but Hiraeth and the 22 years I lived in the Cotswolds (okay, so it wasn't that bad) I pricked up my ears at every Welsh accent and song - Bread of Heaven brought tears to my eyes then and - to be honest - still does! As always I was here trawling for the great info and wisdom that lays scattered like coins in the green grass (and for the many smile-making comments) but this forum gives soooo much more besides. Thanks everyone. PS - my visit today was regarding when to super two single BB colonies and when to move two strong nucs into their own BBs - my visits here - - in the words of Dylan Thomas 'Under Milk Wood' - - Very enjoyable :nature-smiley-016:
Tune composed by John Hughes but the words were by the great William Williams Pantycelyn, who farmed Pantycelyn Farm, not that far away from me, near Llanymddyfri, in fact his descendants still have the farm and I'm familiar with some of them (one buys honey from me)

I always remove syrup stores, leaving two frames, and fondant, if any, when my prunus is in flower as I know there is plenty of forage around then.
I have seen some flowering now

Latest posts

Back