What should I do with a super of drawn frames over the winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The bees drew out nearly all the frames in this super but did not put anything in them. Should I leave the super and frames on the hive - the hive already has two brood boxes (two colonies combined) and a super apart from this super - or take it off and keep the drawn frames indoors over the winter?

If I keep the frames indoors, should I be on the look out for wax moths hatching out - or will they not be there, as there is nothing in the drawn cells?

Thanks.

I would remove the empty super, seal it in a bin liner then store in a cool place for the winter.
It is a bit late in the season to be opening the hive but if you still have a queen excluder under the other super this must be removed. If left on there is a risk that the queen can be left in the brood box(es) when the bees move into the super for the stores, where she gets chilled away from the cluster..
If you get a decently warm day I would put the super under the brood boxes. The stores are available to the bees and you can remove it in the spring before the queen lays in it, which may happen if you leave it on top.

No Colony needs two broods and a super for overwintering. Mosty certainly remove the empty one and put it in the freeezer for 24 hours before storing securely (to any kill wax moth and avoid later infestation). There are other ways than freezing, of course

Two broods (deeps) is far more than sufficient stores if the boxes are full - most over-winter on one deep, or a brood and a half, or a brood and a super (many of us use 14 x 12s these days, instead of messing around with two brood boxes).

So there is the question of the super on at present - needed or not? That would depend on what is in those two brood boxes, I daresay.

As per o90o regarding storing the drawn comb super. Freeze 48 hours + then double bag (and seal), at least. And store *cold*!

You are in London, and there is some mild weather (or warmer) being indicated as a possibility for next week.
You should be able to pick a nice enough day for a detailed stores inventory. (And getting the QX out, if it isn't already.)
As a result of which, you may be thinking of putting the shallow box underneath until Spring, or even harvesting it.

But the weather looks like it might give you a last chance to avoid doing things by guesswork.

Thank you all.

I have taken off the super with drawn, empty frames and wrapped them inside an unused thick plastic rubble sack. (I had already taken out the queen excluder.) I'll have to freeze them one by one, if possible: am not sure at the moment if the freezer (in a 'fridge freezer) will be big enough.

The bees seem to have more stores already that they had at this time last year, and I am as sure as any newbie can be that they have enough for the winter, but I won't harvest any more because it would taste of thymol.

I hope to reduce the two brood boxes to one in the Spring by moving frames around to give the remaining brood box the best frames.

As others have suggested, I would put the super on the bottom if you're leaving it on. They will then empty this first making it easier to remove in spring, leaving the bees busy in the brood chambers- unless it's empty now, in which case you can remove it now.

As others have suggested, I would put the super on the bottom if you're leaving it on. They will then empty this first making it easier to remove in spring, leaving the bees busy in the brood chambers- unless it's empty now, in which case you can remove it now.

The super is nearly full of capped honey: I decided to leave all but two frames' worth (which I took before starting varroa treatment) to see them through the winter. I would put the super under the lower brood box except that I am a woman and that brood box is now too heavy for me to lift. I know that one can lift the frames out into a spare brood box until it is light enough to lift but I don't think that now is the time to do that.

So the arrangement of boxes is

1. upper brood box with uncapped honey on some frames but most frames not in use
2. super nearly full of capped honey
3. lower brood box which I have not inspected for a while

LGR?

If you happen to have a green house then put a floor down then your super/s then a CB and roof. Make mouse proof.

Jack Frost will most likely visit over winter and all is good.

Tis what I do.

PH

If you happen to have a green house then put a floor down then your super/s then a CB and roof. Make mouse proof.

Jack Frost will most likely visit over winter and all is good.

Thank you, that's a good suggestion. I don't have a greenhouse but I could improvise a sort of cold frame and put the floor/super/CB/roof into it.

Latest posts

Back