What rent is fair?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
I have to move my 2 hives from their present location.
The council has agreed I may site them at the back of the cemetery.
There are council allotments nearby and they want to charge me £21 a year, the land use agreement to be reviewed annually. This is the same as an allotment rent.
It seems quite a lot to me for 2 -3 beehives, no shed/storage available, not fenced off.
What does everyone else think? I suppose in honey terms it's 4 pounds of honey.

At least the neighbours won't complain.

:sorry: Somebody had to say it!!

that's a better deal than I got from council, rent is £65 a year and it was like a jungle 4 big trees to cut down baths and beds to move plus loads of wire and a big tractor wheel plus no fence round it and got 2 weeks to do it in so you have a good deal

I would charge them for giving them the kudos of having bees on their land!
E

If it's a good site in all other ways, I'd say it's worth its weight in (liquid) gold!

(How vulnerable is it, being in the dead centre of the community? :sorry:)

one of my landlords pays me for 100 jars of honey a year and I pay him £1 rent not that he ever has asked for the £1. I think I have the best deal there lol

Allotments around here are about 3 times that. Whether it's worth it depends on lots of other factors, like can you drive up, or could anyone drive up and away with your hives?

Latest posts

Back