What protection do you wear?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear a jacket(not full suit), welly boots, hat, and always a long sleeved shirt.

I also wear marigold gloves, I've tried bare hands but to be honest it's just cleaner for me to wear gloves.

For a full inspection, a veil and smock, usually with gloves.

If I'm just putting a super on or something, then so far I've gotten away with wearing nothing at all. Stings don't really bother me at all unless they're on my hands or face/head.

For a full inspection, a veil and smock, usually with gloves.

If I'm just putting a super on or something, then so far I've gotten away with wearing nothing at all. Stings don't really bother me at all unless they're on my hands or face/head.

Hmm I used to be like that until the day I opened a warre hive top to replace a feeder. and the bees decided they would all explode out of the feeder hole together. I ran from the stinging mob with stings to face arms and legs (in shorts at the time).

Now I always wear full trousers and a veil as a minimum.

I happily cut under the hives and strim round them in shorts but opening them up I take precautions.

Jacket with fencing hood, dyed green, nitrile gloves, boots. I don't like the smock type jackets, feel claustrophobic in them.

My dad used to tuck his trousers into his socks to stop visitors up the leg, roll up his shirt sleeves and light a fag. He swore that the smoke from the ciggy kept the bees off his face. Only on rare occasions maybe a Q- hive he would put on a veil but I don't remember him ever wearing gloves!
Me on the other hand, it depends what I am doing but if I am inspecting I normally wear full suit, gloves and boots. I tend to get stung more often when I am doing something else in the garden somewhere near the hives and forget to be cautious because I am not thinking 'bees' at the time!

Full suit with boots and marigolds. Just don't see the point of getting stung if I can avoid it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7F5u7Uqt1U&feature=share&list=PLw11sOYPRLozN-wNmwDPSw6uIwC7zqBmP[/ame]
These videos are fab to watch - apparently a hat and tie were pretty essential during the 1930s
:)

That was standard kit for anything hazardous back in the day.

Hair net to stop hair getting trapped in zip,baseball cape to keep net away from nose full suit wellies and marigolds,my hubby sure likes his woman glamorous!

Smock, marigolds and wellies for me

Marigolds to keep propolis off me

Smock just in case they are on the turn

Wellies because with my selective breeding I have a lovely set of bees but each year I always get one that discovers that "down" is as interesting as "up" - just happened again two weeks ago -- i think its hive bees that have fallen off a super frame onto me and are headign south looking for the brood box -- I think the smell from the wellies stops them in their tracks.......

After having a quick look a my nuc (poly with clear plastic crown board) thinking I could just see what was happening without suit or veil and knocking the crown board very slightly to one side (bees streamed out) I got at least 4 bees caught in my hair and a sting on the cheek, luckily I had on glasses so my eyes were ok. The stings on my head were really painful - suited up for me from now on no matter what!

I had my first sting for 2 years on Sunday.

Not even inspecting or in the same garden.

It was on my trailer and I put my hand on it. Thought it was a splinter at first.

Either smock or full suit, with wellies. Thin disposable gloves or bare hands.

Jacket and veil with trousers tucked into wellies and marigolds.

Haven't been stung yet but only started beekeeping again last August.
I was told I was allergic when I was little, I had my first hive at about 10/11 years old. I thought it was younger but my mom told me that was my age the other day.

I became interested at about 6 years old and went to local BBKA meets with my long suffering mom.
I swell up badly when stung (as far as I remember). The last time I was stung it was multiple times when I was feeding my bees without protection and the feeder slipped. Apparently my mom was up all night mopping my sweating brow.

Back