What Price Jars.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Was just looking on ebay for something and found jars for sale.
Lots of different sizes but really only the two styles.
How much are you paying?

31p, T H O R N E S, a local supplier!

23p with Free delivery if you purchase 1152 (8 Gross) of jars.
Good quality too
from bottlesandjars website

Bottles and Jars looks interesting - the last time I looked at ordering jars in, the postage killed it, even for a big order.

What's the best size and style of jar to go for? Won't be selling of my honey this year, but looking into the idea for next year...

What's the best size and style of jar to go for? Won't be selling of my honey this year, but looking into the idea for next year...

I suppose it depends on your target market. Until this year I've always used the squat 1lb jars. This year I've used the hexagonal 12oz glass jars which I'm really pleased with. I'm selling this to friends at £3.00 a jar and £2.60 in bulk to shops, Stoke on Trent isn't an affluent area and I believe a higher price would struggle in my location.

If you are in Yorkshire Spinks Compak in Leeds are very good. They will let you have the first order at YBKA bulk discount prices and thereafter you have to order through the YBKA. Otherwise there is a £100 minimum spend I think. The contact person there is Emma Speight.

I paid 24p per jar for 12oz hex jars with gold lids.

Dont forget to stock up as VAT is going up in Jan

a few pennies under £50 for 2 boxes (of 84) of 12oz hex's plus lids for bottlecompanysouth in Bristol

i try to buy 12oz jars as they are the size in supermarkets, if you sell1lb jars then people compare the price with the smaller supermarket honey 12 oz jars

i find i can get £3.99 for 12 oz but would have difficulty selling a 1lb jar for £5.25 even though ounce for ounce it is cheaper

Last edited:
Great advice for the jars, do you have similar advice on labels?

For the 12oz hex jars I've used a smaller version of the one I used on the 1lb squat jars, Th*rnes label code L1. Having used the larger label for some years, when I received the smaller version I wasn't sure it looked big enough even for the 12oz jars. However now I've got used to it I think it looks ok.

Previously I also put a tamper label and granulation label on the 1lb jars. This year I haven't bothered (thinking of the extra cost involved and the jar looking 'too busy').

I wasn't certain the lack of tamper label meets current regs, although no mention of it in Th*rnes overview of the regs.

Anyone know?

I wasn't certain the lack of tamper label meets current regs, although no mention of it in Th*rnes overview of the regs.

Anyone know?

Not on anything similar in shops.

Back