What price green kudos?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Beesy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A friend of a friend has invited me to put bee hives on her unused bit of garden as she's heard bees are having a hard time but she wants me to pay for the privilege. She has suggested £25 per hive per year. She doesn't want honey. What does everyone think? Does anyone else pay for putting hives on someone else's land?

some friend i think she is taking the p---.we pay our farmers in honey,tradition says two jars per hive but we give moor,ask about and someone will let you use there land for free

A friend of a friend has invited me to put bee hives on her unused bit of garden as she's heard bees are having a hard time but she wants me to pay for the privilege. She has suggested £25 per hive per year. She doesn't want honey. What does everyone think? Does anyone else pay for putting hives on someone else's land?
if she was that worried about bees she would not ask for £25 give her a slap from me

£25.00 per hive sounds like a good deal.
Will she be paying in cash ?

:cuss:

this is a very simple situation.

She wants you to pay.

You have no (I assume) intention of paying.

Move on.

I offer my prospective site owners a pound of honey per hive. That is the traditional amount and when we are discussing a reasonable amount of hives I have actually been told no honey this year please as we are still dealing with what you gave us last year.

PH

Thanks all.
I have no intention of taking her up on her offer. She said she had checked the going rate with her legal advisors (!) and it was a fair deal. Aye, right.

You did say Lancashire and not Yorkshire ? ;)
John Wilkinson

Tell her that you are interested in placing lots of hives but because of the financial outlay involved you will have to tell your accountant so that they can inform the proper taxation department regarding her need for declaration of unearned income from land rent....bee-smilliebee-smillie

and that as she will be classed as a landlord will she ensure that proper H&S regulations are implemented...

and supply regular cups of tea.

Last edited:
You aren't bound by the traditional going rate. It just depends on how much you like the apiary and how much she really wants the bees. It sounds like neither of you were aware of normal rentals and £25 was just a random figure. Go and politely renegotiate. And if it proves to be a real stonker of a site yielding 5 times as much as anywhere else then give her the £25 and a box of chocolates at Christmas. Otherwise it's a non-starter.

And now reading the words "legal advisor", I expect she needs you to put 50 hives there for 25 years just to pay her legal bill.

Last edited:
I have a very nice Colony she can have,

they are always pleased to see you, about thirty come up and try to kiss you when you go near them ,it will save me requeening in April with a bought in queen,

i will be able to breed one my self to be ready for when she pays me to take the hive away in June

Latest posts

Back