What method do you use to render wax?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We had our first success at rendering our wax, after an even more successful extraction. We filtered it through Jay clothes. I'm sure the more experienced beeks do not use this method. How do you do it?

The important thing is to not to raise the temperature of the wax higher than 70°C this will avoid discolouration/darkening of the wax.
Buy yourself a decent bain marie wax melter (resaonably priced at most beekeeping suppliers, although I managed to get a big gallon sized one on fleabay, you need a stainless steel one for finishing the wax off) and a decent metal thermometer - I find the Kilner jam thermometers with a temperature dial ideal
If you live in an area with decent water (soft not hard|) first wash the cappings with water to get rid of most of the honey deposits. You can then render the whole lot down in your bain marie for the first filter. The wax will still have quite a bit of water in but the water and slumgum will settle to the bottom so just skim the wax off the top and filter using a double layer of nylon stocking stretched over a food tin with both ends removed (has to be Heinz beans or the posher chopped tomatoes as most tins have rounded bases now so you can't use a tin opener on them) throw the slumgum on the garden and thoroughly clean the bain marie (or have another just for clean wax)
Melt the wax again (still being careful not to heat over 70°) and this time filter through a J cloth or similar. For a real clean wax, filter through some surgical lint (fluffy side inside your tin/tube) remembering to change the lint frequently whilst filtering - I find you need to change the lint three or four times in a 2Kg batch, depending on whether it's the first or second filter.
I find that Stork margarine tubs make ideal moulds.

If your intention are to exchange your wax just melt down with minimal filtering and fuss, it’ll make no difference in the return.

That's what I did a couple of months ago. It's now covered in wasps!
bagged up and goes on the incinerator. I've found it attracts bees and wasps for some time.

for capping's as JBM, anything else goes in the solar extractor, and then pooled in the oven prior to exchange

The important thing is to not to raise the temperature of the wax higher than 70°C this will avoid discolouration/darkening of the wax.
Buy yourself a decent bain marie wax melter (resaonably priced at most beekeeping suppliers, although I managed to get a big gallon sized one on fleabay, you need a stainless steel one for finishing the wax off) and a decent metal thermometer - I find the Kilner jam thermometers with a temperature dial ideal
If you live in an area with decent water (soft not hard|) first wash the cappings with water to get rid of most of the honey deposits. You can then render the whole lot down in your bain marie for the first filter. The wax will still have quite a bit of water in but the water and slumgum will settle to the bottom so just skim the wax off the top and filter using a double layer of nylon stocking stretched over a food tin with both ends removed (has to be Heinz beans or the posher chopped tomatoes as most tins have rounded bases now so you can't use a tin opener on them) throw the slumgum on the garden and thoroughly clean the bain marie (or have another just for clean wax)
Melt the wax again (still being careful not to heat over 70°) and this time filter through a J cloth or similar. For a real clean wax, filter through some surgical lint (fluffy side inside your tin/tube) remembering to change the lint frequently whilst filtering - I find you need to change the lint three or four times in a 2Kg batch, depending on whether it's the first or second filter.
I find that Stork margarine tubs make ideal moulds.
That's brilliant thank you

Latest posts

Back