What list of extras should I have ready for use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For my first year, Im not sure what I should have as handy stand by's.

I have so far 2 nationals with 2 supers on each hive . 2 nucs are arriving towards the end of the month. Am I likely to need a 3rd super and more frames?

All I need to order so far are 2 feeder buckets. I'm thinking of topping up the order with other essentials.

Will I need things like oxalic acid etc?

I would be grateful for a list of essentials!

Also is there a well rated company to order from?

So far I have hive tools, smoker and bee suits.

Im ready to order a couple of feeder buckets, plus a list of recommendations but not sure where to order from.

Cliff

Hi CliffDale
Have a look at Pete's inspection video (?21st May 2009)
Don't forget queen excluders.
Cazza

Hi Cliff.
If your bees expand well you may end up on brood & 1/2 so that would only leave you 1 super each for honey. It depends on the bees and the weather, so yes, I personally would have a couple more.

Whereabouts are you in Cornwall ? I`ve always got spare Oxalic etc.

You`ll also need a spare hive toll plus another spare hive tool :)

Queen marking equipment, although I would imagine yours will come marked this year anyway.

Plenty of sugar.

Darren.

scissors for queen clipping, a queen cage of some sort for marking, some form of hive record cards.:coolgleamA:

Hi Darren.

I live close to St Austell.

OK, add 2 supers and frames to the list with the spacers.

So, if I make a super into a brood box, would I use different size spacers?

I have the excluders ready in the hives.

Can you recommend a good on line site to order from. The only one I know is Thornes.

Cliff

I would need help with queen clipping! I'm sure I will find a local bee keeper for some help with this.
Cliff

You can use a brood as a super but you cannot turn a super into a brood.

Small cannot be made big.

PH

Thanks.

I also read a few weeks back that KBS foundation is brilliant, well worth paying a bit more for it.

Is it worth splitting the order and get separate foundation? It all looks the same to me! (may be not to a bee though)!

Cliff

Would it be wise to have extra brood boxes handy with frames?

If they are not used in the first year, they will sure come in handy next spring.

Cliff

Cliff,you don't pay more for KBS foundation,you pay a lot less, and get better foundation.

i would make a 75mm eke, simple four bits of 19mm wood to make a 460mm square

you will need something like it as a apiguard thymol treatment eke for varroa in september and a 75mm eke converts a super to a brood in an emergency

have you got a manipulation cloth to cover the bees and put them in darkeness while you examine one frame more closely?

somewhere to place a frame, when you manipulate the rest..some use a frame holder, i use a Nuc as i can put them in darkness or split them at any time, which duplicates up as my travelling tool box ( i have my tools and bits in a carrier bag in it)

water bottle spray /sugar water spray..make them think its raining

I also find a bee brush and one of those forks for hoisting out drone larvae useful.

Back