What Kind of WBC is this (photos to follow)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
I am sorry I can not post photos but my camera is at work.
I have inherited a WBC Hive, it has confused my simple mind!
The outside lifts are oblong with the short side at the front
the square brood box inside measures just under 13inches each side. ( I think there are 10 frames (can't quite remember))
I bought a WBC super but it is way too small to fit well ontop of the brood box.
A National super is ever so slightly too large to fit ontop of the brood but only so slightly, just enough to prevent a lift from sliding down.
I did my first inspection yesterday and all looking well, I wanted to put on a super but as explained above I could not, so in an attempt to give more space I used the second broodbox that came with the hive, but..... I only had super size frames so there is a large space between the bottom of the super frames and the QE.
Will they build a load of brace to make up for this until I find the right sized super?

On another note I was feeling really anxious about doing my first inspection (I am not quite sure why, perhaps after a winter of reading the forum and focussing on the disasters and unruly behaviour of some grumpy bees) But they were so beautifully behaved, I had to cut off a bit of brace comb between the crown board and frames so I could fit on the QE, they just let me get on with it and when I put the scrapings in the shade within a few minutes the bees just left it alone AND when we had visitors for our first BBQ of the year last night we all tried some...Delicious!!!!

Without pics my best guess is home made. A especial curse of WBC's for some reason. :(

PH

Latest posts

Back