What is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I was planting on the project site, and this flew past. I have never seen one before. Once it had landed it didn't seem to want to fly again, I was trying to get a clear picture as safely as possible, but I only had my mobile, and the camera is naff. When you zoom it is impossible to get a clear picture, but this is the best that came out. It had a very long body, very wide stripes of yellow and black. It's legs were yellow and black striped too.

No Wozza, it had three colour sections, two black either end with yellow in the middle. Very thin long body, and the legs had the three bands again, with two black and one yellow in the middle, wings which came to 3/4 the way down it's body......darnest thing I've ever seen! Body was as thin as a daddy long legs :(

I know the pic is blurry, but maybe someone will recognise it along with the discription.

mystery solved! Found it :) It seems to be a Ichneumon sp, like this one here http://www.2metdenatuur.nl/sluipwesp.htm but it had larger black sections on it's legs. The picture you posted Wozza was among the images when I was searching, so it seems you were right, there are lots of types of this thing.

Right, maybe it will stop bugging me now, been searching for days lol

looks like a wood wasp to me - I have seen 3 in the past 2 weeks, having not seen them for years. bloody scary - give me the creeps when they fly into the house !

S

Did it seem really dozy, flying like it was drunk? This one was, and didn't seem to want to fly, even when I was moving the foliage to get a clearer pic. I've never seen one before

Latest posts

Back