What is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I pulled this old frame from a hive that was left unattended for 3 years. Can anyone tell me what these spores are? I'm afraid it's American Foulbrood. Any advice? Thanks in advance. David

IMG_0498.jpg

I pulled this old frame from a hive that was left unattended for 3 years. Can anyone tell me what these spores are? I'm afraid it's American Foulbrood. Any advice? Thanks in advance. David

View attachment 31806
Please look here. It’s a link to the NBU’s article on foulbrood
https://nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?sectionid=26
In addition the inspectorate run bee disease days through the year. It’s a good idea to go on one.
Edit
Ah I see you’re in France. Any other beginners from the U.K. should grab the chance to do one if they can.

Please look here. It’s a link to the NBU’s article on foulbrood
https://nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?sectionid=26
In addition the inspectorate run bee disease days through the year. It’s a good idea to go on one.
Edit
Ah I see you’re in France. Any other beginners from the U.K. should grab the chance to do one if they can.
Thanks Dani. We have local inspectors in my area (Haute Savoie) and I'll see if I can get them to come by. I doubt now that it is AFB, but it would be a good idea to have an inspection anyway particularly since AFB has hit this area rather heavily lately. thanks again.

Thanks Dani. We have local inspectors in my area (Haute Savoie) and I'll see if I can get them to come by. I doubt now that it is AFB, but it would be a good idea to have an inspection anyway particularly since AFB has hit this area rather heavily lately. thanks again.
It’s always useful to have an expert eye over the bees.
Really useful to look at diseased frames too which is why I always encourage beginners to go to the disease days.
Best of luck and happy beeking

It’s always useful to have an expert eye over the bees.
Really useful to look at diseased frames too which is why I always encourage beginners to go to the disease days.
Best of luck and happy beeking
I agree Dani, we are extremely lucky in the UK that we have the SBIs. If anyone has never used their services or been worried about a visit, enjoy it....... they are extremely interesting and you will learn a lot.

A bit worried here. I kept bees some 30 years ago for five years and am now in my third season here in mid-Wales (just outside Llandrindod Wells). I'm very careful to examine brood frames at each and every inspection on all hives. Last year I was lucky enough to requiem one of my hives with one of Ceri's black queens and she's been doing really well BUT on my last examination I saw some dead brood (about 2 or 3 over about three frames) and wonder if it could be EFB? Had my colonies checked by the bee inspector last summer with a totally clean bill of health so at a bit of a loss if it is. Any advice from anyone would be hugely appreciated. Heart in mouth time :-(IMG_5504.jpegIMG_5507.jpegIMG_5509.jpegIMG_5512.jpeg

Thank you both @Swarm and @Newbeeneil that's most appreciated. I have read about sac brood in the past but can't remember what I read. I'll research it now, thank you both once again.

sacbrood - but keep a careful eye on it
Thanks. I understand that if it persists the best way is to re-queen from a different genetic line. Such a shame though I was really chuffed to get this line. Ah well, such is life, at least I still live in Wales ;-)

What's the reasoning behind requeening in this case? Changing the genetics to some with a greater resistance to the virus?

James
Hi James, just what I’ve hastily researched since learning what the problem likely is. Will delve deeper tomorrow but the re-queening option was kind of being thrown out as a question. If you have any suggestions I’d be grateful for any guidance at this stage.

Hi James, just what I’ve hastily researched since learning what the problem likely is. Will delve deeper tomorrow but the re-queening option was kind of being thrown out as a question. If you have any suggestions I’d be grateful for any guidance at this stage.

I've not actually seen sacbrood "in the flesh" as it were, so I'm afraid I was just asking out of intellectual interest.

James

I've not actually seen sacbrood "in the flesh" as it were, so I'm afraid I was just asking out of intellectual interest.

James
It does ’seem’ as if it has a genetic element, though as mentioned I’ve only just begun to research it. The odd dead larvae might not be too serious but I’ve never seen it before and wish that was still the case. However, I understand that if it becomes more prevalent then a change of genetics might be the only way out. I worry it might spread to my other, unrelated, hives however. Such a shame though as I was really looking forward to re-queening all my hives from this particular bloodline.

As JBM asked, check varroa. I find sacbrood is more of an issue when varroa levels are high.

Latest posts

Back