What is this hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frame length and lug length will give you the necessary clues.

If it is 18 inches square it could be either - can't necessarily tell from the outside. Most likely a Commercial, but could be a National with a double skin.

RAB

cheep commercial box? (normally dovetailed joints), better showing it with roof off

I have 5 commercial boxes with bees in them ggrrrr, will be selling the next year

cheep commercial box? (normally dovetailed joints), better showing it with roof off

I have 5 commercial boxes with bees in them ggrrrr, will be selling the next year

why? I (and my bees) get on fine with commercial brood size

why? I (and my bees) get on fine with commercial brood size

So do many others i know,athough the majority prefer standard national,but if its a bigger brood box that one desires i believe its a better option than 14x12.

Last edited:
lift the roof off, if all the walls are the same thickness and the frame ledge is just a small rebate of about half an inch then it is a commercial

if two walls are 1" thicker and the rebates for the frames is about an inch then it is a national

That hive is a BEE-Hive.

Sorry, I could not resist. Definitely not a lang box.

An American with a sense of humour :svengo:
You are going to fit in really well around these parts.
Welcome to the forum.

Outside dim of national 18 1/8th"
Outside dim of commercial 18 1/4".

Hand holds on all sides suggests Commercial ?
Don't forget however the Smith hive ?

John Wilkinson

After having a close up look at the hive I suggest a bonfire :)

It's made of plywood which has begun to de-laminate and is well past it's sell by date !
Possibly the roof and floor are worth saving but all else should be comsumed by fire :(.

John Wilkinson

VM,

If it was my only starting point I would not bonfire it if it is disease free and can be well scorched on the inside.

If commercial, it could be used 'as is' or it may be possible to convert to national. I doubt it would be worthwhile converting unless there is no other alternative, as National broods are not so expensive. It may make a spare hive, if nothing more than that.

Even the 3mm (approx) difference in sizes of the two formats would not necessarily be an appropriate test here, as it looks to be a 'cheap and cheerful' box, likely homemade.

Regards, RAB

VM,

If it was my only starting point I would not bonfire it if it is disease free and can be well scorched on the inside.

If commercial, it could be used 'as is' or it may be possible to convert to national. I doubt it would be worthwhile converting unless there is no other alternative, as National broods are not so expensive. It may make a spare hive, if nothing more than that.

Even the 3mm (approx) difference in sizes of the two formats would not necessarily be an appropriate test here, as it looks to be a 'cheap and cheerful' box, likely homemade.

Regards, RAB

Cheap and nasty more like :gnorsi:

John Wilkinson

Even though past its best, how about using it as a bait hive?

Looks like the mice have nested in the interior. I wouldn't put it anywhere near bees.It is probably meant to be a 16 x 10 Commercial and as V.Meldrew says would burn nicely.Save it for the 5th of next month.

Latest posts

Back