what is about now ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
what flowers are available to the bees now apart from snowdrops and crocus :toetap05:

Hope there is something available, I saw some bumble bees today mooching around underneath a cherry laurel. Haven't seen any snowdrop flowers yet, or crocus, some mahonia is all.

The willow Catkins are out here'but I can't see the Bees making much use of them yet !!!:nature-smiley-016:

The willow Catkins are out here'but I can't see the Bees making much use of them yet !!!:nature-smiley-016:

No willow here yet. Hazel just coming out, winter flowering honey suckle, Mahonia and snowdrops (early flowing Elwesii variety) just coming out,hellebore also just coming out.
Cazza

Ahem: it's mid-January... I thought I was one of the least patient people I knew till I joined here, so, thank you!

I don't see this as impatience. This is about knowing what is in flower at this time of year. If it's warm enough, bees will visit.
I have patience in spades!
Cazza

Yes, overpowering scent from Sarococca in our back garden but no bees seen (apiary 300m away, T 10C). Do bees visit this shrub?

I've had lots of bees on mine but only when the sun is shining on it! :nature-smiley-016:

Well spotted !!!!!!
Just looked in my book of many Trees.

Hazel , " Male Catkins appear before the leaves Jan to March "
This also explains why I picked Hazel nuts of a Willow tree last year..:icon_204-2:

Well ,You learn something every day... And that was it.

Last edited:
what flowers are available to the bees now apart from snowdrops and crocus

Yesterday in Winchester saw some Winter Aconites in flower, daffodils with buds, some Clematis cirrhosa with pretty white drop-like flowers. (I'm glad I looked it up because I thought it was C. tangutica). Loads and loads of hazel catkins fully open; pink Viburnum bodnantense; white Viburnum tinus; Winter flowering cherry (Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis).

In our garden we've been waiting for the Mahonia to open, but it seems to be taking its' time, same with the V. tinus.

Latest posts

Back