What hive to make if I don't want to harvest honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I am aware that the british bumblebee's are all endangered species, we often have natural hives in our garden and today unfortunately I disturbed a queen as she was just starting a new hive in the compost heap. I'm not sure if that hive can recover now, I left them alone and when I looked the workers were busy with the eggs so I am hoping they will take them to a new location, it was so small I didn't notice it until the compost bin had been dismantled and moved.

Anyway I would like to help the bees by making a wood hive, I realise its going to be too late this year but hopefully next year it might be used. I won't be harvesting any honey, just providing a safe place to help out an endangered species.

So what I need is some advice on a simple design which will be perfect for the bees and only disturbed by me to clean it in the winter. I was looking at this hive:

http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/multimedia/pdfs/Bee-Box.pdf

And this one:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/home-garden/galleries/view/home-garden/give-bees-a-chance/browse/601364

Which doesn't give much information on what is actually required by the bees, most of the guides to building hives seem to be primarily concerned with making it easy to harvest the honey I can't find much advice on things such as what size holes to drill and wether there should be a gap at the back of the hive or not, and whether all holes should be the same size or not. Any advice or links to guides much appreciated.

Thanks,

Apache

Bumble bees dont produce a surplus of honey, like honey bees do.

Not clear if you're looking to help bumble bees or honey bees. If it's bumble bees you can get boxes in garden centres (or look at them and build a copy)- a bit like bird boxes.

If it's honey bees, they really do need to be looked after, or they will build up diseases. You would need to build a hive then check them regularly- basically become a beekeeper.

No I am not interested in keeping honey bees yet so I am looking at making boxes for bumble bees and solitary bees.

Found this one:
http://www.actionfornature.co.uk/pdf/BumbleBeesHive.pdf

Which looks pretty easy, will proably make one box for bumblebees and one for solitary bees at the moment.

I guess I need most help with a suitable solitary bee design, can't find any info on hole diameter etc.

No I am not interested in keeping honey bees yet so I am looking at making boxes for bumble bees and solitary bees.

Found this one:
http://www.actionfornature.co.uk/pdf/BumbleBeesHive.pdf

Which looks pretty easy, will proably make one box for bumblebees and one for solitary bees at the moment.

I guess I need most help with a suitable solitary bee design, can't find any info on hole diameter etc.

sorry but most on this forum here will not have any idea how to help you, as it is a site for keepers of Honeybees, you would be better of on a wildlife site

Fair enough I will try and find something. Thanks for your help.

As you research further, i would reiterate that bumbles are not solitary bees. Example of the latter being the red mason bee. I once purchased a nesting kit and sited it on my allotment. The bee (s?) ignored it and laid eggs in runner bean canes stored horizontally nearby. A mate of mine installed twin wall roofing on his conservatory and a mason laid up a three meter length of just one of the "holes". Needless to say they fried and he had to replace the panel.

I also had two instances of bumble nests last year, one in a bird box (blue tit design) and one where they had nested in junk in a garage and were entering under the up/over door.

So research and DIY would be the way to go? Leave your wallet shut as bees can be contrary.

Good luck!

FB

we've had several in plant pots in the greenhouse (smashed pain of glass so they can get in an out easily. apparently if you get some used bedding from a pet shop, or someone who keeps mice and put it in prety much anything with a small hole, round about now, bumbbles will happily nest there as they sniff out mouse holes to inhabit. upturned terracotta plant pots, even cardboard boxes work well as long as they are protected from the rain..

masonry bees can be happy in canes chopped horizontally and bunched together (also make good overwintering spots for bumblebees and ladybirds.. almost too good we're plagued with them this year)

Thanks a lot mandabow and fredbloggs, theres a lot of suggestions there and I will definitely be using those ideas.

This page with bumblebee hive designs was exactly what I was looking for, I'll let you know how I get on.

Apache

If you are still on here, try googling christine falmer (.com) she has quite a fascinating collection of info on solitary bees.

Is your interest conservation? Or do you want some visual entertainment?

I'll post some more on red mason bees tomorrow. Using an iphone to send this which is rubbish to type on!

Regards

FB

Yeah I'm still here :)

Thanks for that I found the page, lots of information! Will put this to good use.

My interest is conservation but I quite like looking at the little blighters as well.

Admin

Duplicated post and got timed out on the edit. You might want to edit it out

Apache

Some more pointers. I managed to save the edited message and repost it below. Much easier on a PC!!

hello again

The bumbles are really interesting IMHO and seem obvious to human presence. I did have the oxford bee company solitary bee nest she refers to. You can make a similar thing with runner canes ( old ones are best) inside an old plastic pipe or clay drainage pipe. You need to split the canes open in autumn to remove the parasitic fly larvae.

There is a book by chris o toole - founder of OBC? On the red mason bee. If you can manage to get one it is an informative read. If i manage to find mine, you are welcome to borrow it

Regards

FB

Depending on how tidy you like your refuges here is another aspect of design

http://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/ReducingImpact/GreenGardening/BuildABugHotel/PageTemplate.aspx

And another:

http://www.ulsterwildlifetrust.org/...DDB167F-AA18-4FF6-84CE-DB0F21572D03&mode=link

This latter one we built in my daughters school and to our suprise got inundated with newts. Bumbles will love this?

Not quite the wooden box you had in mind but these give you a better perspective on the actual insects themselves. There is loads of info on the buglife website.

Regards

FB

Ps managed to determine how to copy url links on the iphone (akin to diy dentistry) just need to work out how to shorten the urls now!

Latest posts

Back