What have you learnt this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That a good summer makes such a difference. I loved it.

That ant powder is great at killing wasp nests, and you know who's wasp traps are very good.

That all the problems of the world are caused by neonics.

That if you look through a clear crown board whilst a hive is swarming the bees are running around manically everywhere in the hive - really excited state.

That bees prefer pollen patties which actually have pollen in them

That beekeeping with a poly hive and no queen excluder is looking like the future of my beekeeping, but not yet completely sure about "all mediums" configuration

I am glad that we do not treat our old and weak relatives the same way as bees do:eek:

I have learnt to listen to people more experienced than me, take as much advice as I possibly can and READ!

Can't believe how much I've done with my bees in just 5 months!

Oh and i've learnt that once you've owned bees, you cant give up and yearn for more.

That once in thirty years lime trees deliver the goods!
That suggesting other beekeepers be patient is not always what they want to hear but is so often the simple answer
That I don't know everything and never will, but having the good sense to listen to others and apologise whenever you are wrong seems to help!
That rudeness is never the answer.
That my bees know what is best for them
That I am a really lucky guy!
E

That there are as many views on a problem as the number of beekeepers you ask
That being patient is good advice to give, but really hard to accept (thanks Enrico)
That shaking out a colony with a DLQ is not a trivial task

Tabby, you'll find yourself growing with the challenge.

I learn constantly what a wonderful resource this forum is

Do not buy stainless steel hive tools.... because dragging a magnet around the apiary will not find them...
A pipe detector will find any metal hive tools in long grass. It also finds any nails, rusty bolts, bottle tops...

Do not buy stainless steel hive tools.... because dragging a magnet around the apiary will not find them....... or cut the grass!

( unless they are made from Chinese stainless !)

at least when you do find it it won't be rusty..

That after forgetting on more than one occasion to douse the hive in smoke and realsisng the bees are still laid back and well behaved - that you don't really need to use the smoker as a matter of course; and that smokers, like pyjamas should just be kept handy to one side just for the odd ocasion when they may be needed :D

i guess next year will be the year i learn the most.
i have only had bees for about 5 weeks .
i have done a beginners course and learned a lot i just wish the bees had done the same course lol.
i have already learned it doesn't matter what you think they will do what they want when they want to and how they want to.
400 acres of OSR will mean next year will be challenging and i am starting to think that this relaxing new hobby might not be so relaxing after all . :)

they have already made a fool of me once and i don't think it will be the last time .

That..... there's no shame in asking for help.
That.......having a good mentor around, or somebody with experience at the end of the phone, makes such a difference
That...... the less poking around without good reason, the better it is for the bees and my honey crop!
That.....clear crown boards are a godsend for an anxious newbie. Yes, hooray, my bees are still alive and well!

On and the separate wrist covering gauntlet things I've bought mean that my whole suit is spared the washing machine every time I take a few stings on the arms. Just pop the gauntlets and marigolds in with a bit of washing soda each time now to get rid of any pheromones! :) My new favourite bit of kit!

If you need to feed in the spring, don't feed too much or they'll build up quickly and swarm on the first nice day.

when using morris board for queen raising check / and check again for queen cells before adding grafts

No matter how hard you 'think' you look, queen cells are b**gers to find sometimes.....
Make sure the foundation sheets lie nice and flat in the brood frames - the bees DON'T LIKE wonky sheets! :nono:

Latest posts

Back