What have you had under your roof?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!

Warre hives have a peaked sunshield roof with a gap below, people have occasionally found bird nests and roosting bats there.

I've had one apiary which for a couple of winters seemed to be a ladybird sanctuary. Infested from late October, all gone by early April.

Nothing as exotic as the above....

Slugs... mainly leopard slugs that are really good garden hunters... I don't like them much but they don't seem to do any harm and they are not in the hive and don't eat my plants. I assume they are attracted to the warmth... and probably feed off whatever feeds off the debris under the hive .... they look well fed !

Mice, slugs, earwigs (so called because their hind wings when opened resembled ears, wig being old english for insect),woodlice, ants, moths, queen wasps............................................

Nothing as exotic as the above....

Slugs... mainly leopard slugs that are really good garden hunters... I don't like them much but they don't seem to do any harm and they are not in the hive and don't eat my plants. I assume they are attracted to the warmth... and probably feed off whatever feeds off the debris under the hive .... they look well fed !
Just watched Gardeners’ World - leopard slugs only eat decaying vegetation and are very territorial apparently, killing other slugs that dare to come near!

Big spiders with triangular shaped bodies.

Often find lizards under the roofs at certain apiaries, I posted a short video of one on another thread yesterday.

Also know for sure that we have had at least one lizard *in* a hive.
FB_IMG_1628766394526.jpg

Last year at the farm I had a few mice causing trouble. This year I think that they spread the word, as I have had all manner of problems! They seem to like nibbling the poly hives, if they are too low to the ground. I also had a couple of empty, nucs almost destroyed along with a Paradise floor and an Abelo crown-board that had fallen off a bench. There has also been a wax moth problem, which I have never experienced before.

Latest posts

Back