Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

oxnatbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Cool!

Warre hives have a peaked sunshield roof with a gap below, people have occasionally found bird nests and roosting bats there.

Jimmy 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I've had one apiary which for a couple of winters seemed to be a ladybird sanctuary. Infested from late October, all gone by early April.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Nothing as exotic as the above....

Slugs... mainly leopard slugs that are really good garden hunters... I don't like them much but they don't seem to do any harm and they are not in the hive and don't eat my plants. I assume they are attracted to the warmth... and probably feed off whatever feeds off the debris under the hive .... they look well fed !

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Mice, slugs, earwigs (so called because their hind wings when opened resembled ears, wig being old english for insect),woodlice, ants, moths, queen wasps............................................

Moobee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Nothing as exotic as the above....

Slugs... mainly leopard slugs that are really good garden hunters... I don't like them much but they don't seem to do any harm and they are not in the hive and don't eat my plants. I assume they are attracted to the warmth... and probably feed off whatever feeds off the debris under the hive .... they look well fed !
Just watched Gardeners’ World - leopard slugs only eat decaying vegetation and are very territorial apparently, killing other slugs that dare to come near!

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Big spiders with triangular shaped bodies.

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Often find lizards under the roofs at certain apiaries, I posted a short video of one on another thread yesterday.

Also know for sure that we have had at least one lizard *in* a hive.
FB_IMG_1628766394526.jpg

Swn58 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
Last year at the farm I had a few mice causing trouble. This year I think that they spread the word, as I have had all manner of problems! They seem to like nibbling the poly hives, if they are too low to the ground. I also had a couple of empty, nucs almost destroyed along with a Paradise floor and an Abelo crown-board that had fallen off a bench. There has also been a wax moth problem, which I have never experienced before.

Mint Bee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
found this little one in an empty bait hive during the summer a few years ago. I've seen its larger relatives at approaching a meter in length and more than once have them slither next to and / or over my boots during a hive inspection
grass snake.JPG

Latest posts